Sonic Electronix

An equal-loudness contour is a measure of sound pressure (dBSPL), over the frequencyspectrum, for which a listener perceives a constant loudness when presented with pure steady tones. The unit of measurement for loudness levels is the phon, and is arrived at by reference to equal-loudness contours. By definition two sine waves, of differing frequencies, are said to have equal-loudness level measured in phons if they are perceived as equally loud by the average young person without significant hearing impairment.

I thought loudness was measured in phon and sone. Spl is a measurement of air pressure. My highs are loud but there's no spl reading on them. Please explain spl is loudness

Here you go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sone

Sone and phon are one way to enumerate sound pressure, which is SPL. Sone and phone are to decibels what inches and centimeters are to length. And high frequency sounds are measured in decibels.

The reason sone and phon are used for different frequencies is that different frequencies can have lower sound pressure while you may perceive them as louder.

To give you an anecdotal example, some friends of mine came over last night and we were playing around with a signal generator. I played random frequencies and asked them to both guess whether they thought the one I was currently playing was higher or lower than the last. Then, I asked them to tell me when a certain frequency hurt their ears.

When we got into the treble range not all frequencies that hurt my ears hurt my buddy's or his wife's but not all that hurt her's hurt mine and his, etc, etc. And when a sound hurts our ears, our brain tells us that sound is loud, even though the sound pressure may actually be much lower than many other sounds that we perceive as pleasant and thus, not "loud".

Vent hoods and fart fans are measured in sones because that relates not to a specific frequency or sound pressure, but to a given tonal quality that is produced by multiple frequencies occurring at the same time from the same specific location.

All that aside, when we're talking about subwoofers, we're only dealing with sound pressure because the frequencies produced by subwoofers don't create the odd perceptions in our brains that high frequencies can. Thus, there is only SPL to deal with when we're talking about subs. And frankly, audio systems in general, because even higher music frequencies aren't constant and as such don't create the tonal anomalies mentioned above.

So what you're looking for is a loud sub and not an SPL sub. Let's look at that. If a subwoofer is built for SPL, it's tuned to produce a very narrow bandwidth of bass and produce that bandwidth at very high sound pressures. Let's say that bandwidth is 32-42hz. Well... you can hear bass from 20-150hz with no problem and there is a lot of music that includes bass in all those frequencies. So, for music we'd want a sub that's designed to reproduce all bass frequencies from 20-150 hz at the same sound pressure and if we could build that perfect sub, you would say it's loud but not SPL loud. But in reality, it not that isn't producing sound pressure, it's just that it's producing all bass frequencies at the same sound pressure where our SPL sub is barely audible at 20hz and 100hz. They're both still either loud or not loud (either high or low SPL), depending on how much signal you feed them.

As far as I can gather, that's what you're calling the difference between loud and SPL when in fact, you're talking about level and wide frequency response as opposed to narrow and peaked frequency response... ergo, sound quality vs sound pressure/loud.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Can you elaborate? Do you mean their frequency response is lower than other raw drivers or do you mean their resonant frequencies are lower or do you mean the software recommends enclosures that are tuned lower?

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Ok its hard to explain I had a kicker cvr 15 you could here it down the street. Now I have a AA havoc it sounds much better but can't be hear very far. What component made the kicker louder. But cvr did not sound good sq wise. Same box same amp. 3.5 cubes @32 hz on skar 1500.1

The key isn't to be heard, you want it all to stay inside your car. Or atleast as much of it as you can anyways

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Ok its hard to explain I had a kicker cvr 15 you could here it down the street. Now I have a AA havoc it sounds much better but can't be hear very far. What component made the kicker louder. But cvr did not sound good sq wise. Same box same amp. 3.5 cubes @32 hz on skar 1500.1

was the cvr also louder in the car?? i highly doubt it.

TEAM SUNDOWN HAWAIIHAWAIICARAUDIO.NET

150Db Club

160Db club in the future

I see krakin as a threat

The key isn't to be heard, you want it all to stay inside your car. Or atleast as much of it as you can anyways

if your spl you do. But if you just want a setup that will be heard outside the car then your wrong.

93' Exploder

Deck:Pioneer 6400-bt

Front Stage: Crescendo PWX 8"s and Skar Audio VX1-ST per door

Amps: Sundown Audio SAZ-3500 v1 @.375 ohm daily, CT Sounds 125.2

Subwoofer: Two PSI Platform 2 18"s,Fully Loaded D1.5's

Enclosure: B Pillar Fourth Order, 3:1 ratio tuned at 46 (Designed by Low Hertz Box Designs)

Wire: All Sky High Car Audio Cable!

Alternator: Singer 250 amp Hairpin

Batteries: XS Power D975

Team Audio Connections

Archived