Benefits Of Running Active?

TITUS1985

All I have to say is WOW! Thank you to everyone chiming in and a big thanks to you Cableguy!

Right now in my car I've got all my speakers set up passive so this really makes me want to try it out and see what audible differences I can hear.

I have an Audison Voce AV 5.1k right now running everything but I know that amp was designed to run a front stage active with a sub so I might look at doing that

Thanks again for all the input; it is nice to see people on here caring about SQ as well as SPL

keep the info coming if you have more to add

also if you would like to know what I'm currently running I'm more than happy to tell you guys; that way, only if you wanted to, you could throw out suggestions on what to do next based on what I have readily available, I'm open to it all. Can never have to many options.

Thanks again, Nick

I spent alot of time learning about Sound Quality ...

And to be honnest, I plan to stick to the very basics with my new build ...

Passive crossed 5.25" component set in the dash and a pair of 8"s in the kick pannels.

Simple setup with a headunit, 2 amplifiers, No processing and No Sub stage ...

For the most part, i will not be runnning active with this system ...

Every driver in the car will be in perfect on axis time alignment with each other.

Best of luck with your project Sir !!! I will be tuned in !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

All I have to say is WOW! Thank you to everyone chiming in and a big thanks to you Cableguy!

Right now in my car I've got all my speakers set up passive so this really makes me want to try it out and see what audible differences I can hear.

I have an Audison Voce AV 5.1k right now running everything but I know that amp was designed to run a front stage active with a sub so I might look at doing that

Thanks again for all the input; it is nice to see people on here caring about SQ as well as SPL

also if you would like to know what I'm currently running I'm more than happy to tell you guys; that way, only if you wanted to, you could throw out suggestions on what to do next based on what I have readily available, I'm open to it all. Can never have to many options.

Thanks again, Nick

Passive crossed 5.25" component set in the dash and a pair of 8"s in the kick pannels.

Every driver in the car will be in perfect on axis time alignment with each other.

that will make it so much easier and take so much of the stress out.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Thanks again, Nick

Well I thought I was done with my build but your never really done with car audio are you ;)

All I know is my build just got a lot more expensive haha

Probably gonna go with bit 1 and a Voce Quattro amp (so I can at least keep my 2 ways playing in the rear)

Thanks again for all the help and knowledge. The more and more I listen to my setup right now the more I want to know what it really could sound like with all the proper tuning :)

The more and more I listen to my setup right now the more I want to know what it really could sound like with all the proper tuning :)

Be carefull ... Once you start, Sound Quality can be a VERY addictive drug !!!

Best of luck Brother

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

• 1 year later...

I was searching online about active and passive comparisons which leads me to this post. I just got all these set up fixed at a car audio shop for my Honda City 2014. 2-way active front set-up. Using all the same AUdison Voce 5.1k, AVK 6 Speakers, Bit Ten D, AV Bit In. Honestly, it works perfect and I'm impressed with the quality of the sound. At the same time, another shop quoted me a passive set up,with rear speakers. I'm not sure if I'll regret for not doing passive set up. Any advice plz?

Besides that, I think my Alpine SWS-10D2 (10 inch) subwoofer is not enough. It appears to be the front speakers overpowered the whole bass from the back. I can't really hear the bass coming from the subwoofer at the back and it feels like there's something missing. I was advised to replace my subwoofer with a Audison AV12 to solve my problem. Is it true that its gonna make any difference to it? I was told that the bass will be much better and it will automatically improves the whole car sound system if I change the subwoofer(spending another $800 with custom box & throwing my alpine sub away with its previous 250watt amp). I just got that subwoofer fixed like 3months ago. Its gonna be a waste if its not gonna be a huge difference between these two subwoofers. Can anyone please advice if its really worth the money to change the sub to improve the overall sound quality? Please advise.
Cheers

Active vs passive crossovers:

Active gives you easy access to changes in the slopes and crossover frequencies, less distortion, almost no power loss through the crossovers,..

Passive needs no expensive active crossover.

Reason why manufacturers give passive crossovers is because it's cheap and they have a preset slope and crossover points which should protect the drivers.

And also because (most) customers are not educated enough to implement a proper active crossover.

Running active only has benefits except the price, which is earned back when you try to build a proper high power crossover and have to change the design a few times after testing it.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived