Sundown Audio

To Cap Or Not To Cap

angelscream

But it is still possible to put everything in and have it going until I do the Big 3

No, it's not.

The stock wires aren't meant to handle the 100+ amps your setup can draw on top of the stock demand. Do it first and foremost ;)

I say an upgraded underhood agm battery, Big 3, and properly grounding your amps should be enough for what you're running, 1 farad capacitor is a just a waste of money.

IMO, and purely IMO, 100-200 farads for every 1000 watts is where it gets fun

Well, you're running those super capacitors, them things are no joke lol

Hey there's nothing stopping you or OP from doing the same thing happy.gif.pagespeed.ce.zotybAEnka.gif

Edit: If you are interested, this will get you set up for a 100 farad cap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxwell-650-Farad-Ultracapacitor-Super-Capacitor-car-stereo-supercapacitor-Qty-6-/370730255761?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item56513ec591

Those caps say to not exceep 2.7volts, do you run them in series in order to bring them up to be able to handle 12+ volts?

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

Big 3 will help a bunch, and isn't hard to do, especially when you keep the stock wiring, and add the big 3 to it. Stock wiring wasn't built for an extra load of current like car audio, and sometimes the wire is even too small to get full output from the stock alternator, and stock ground isn't great either.

It's simple to do, just buy some 1/0 wire(about 15 ft should be enough), ring terminals/lugs, heatshrink, and a fuse holder and 250-300 amp fuse to protect the wire.
- Alternator postive to fuse holder to battery positive
- Chasis/frame (usually best to have the wire attached directly at the chasis/frame, if you can't get to it, strut tower) to battery negative
​- Engine block ground to battery negative

Results when done correctly
- Car starts quicker (Usually)
- Charging voltage is increased (Usually)
- Less voltage drops when playing music

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

I say an upgraded underhood agm battery, Big 3, and properly grounding your amps should be enough for what you're running, 1 farad capacitor is a just a waste of money.

Hey there's nothing stopping you or OP from doing the same thing happy.gif.pagespeed.ce.zotybAEnka.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxwell-650-Farad-Ultracapacitor-Super-Capacitor-car-stereo-supercapacitor-Qty-6-/370730255761?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item56513ec591

Those caps say to not exceep 2.7volts, do you run them in series in order to bring them up to be able to handle 12+ volts?

Yessir. Wire 6 of them in series and you have a good cap that will work well on a standard 12v system

Yessir. Wire 6 of them in series and you have a good cap that will work well on a standard 12v system
can you post a few pics of your caps ? I've never seen those are ran caps before lol sounds weird .

can you post a few pics of your caps ? I've never seen those are ran caps before lol sounds weird .

Sure. Mine are quite a bit larger than the ones I suggested. And there is more than one way to wire them too

WP_002676_zps88fa188f.jpg

Should you go the route I posted above, you could wire like this

Archived