Sundown Audio

To Cap Or Not To Cap

angelscream

People think all caps are the same and that people only use caps for bandaging bad electrical, you know, the normal I know they don't work even tho I've never used them, but that one guy said they are bad so I'm saying they are bad.

i know from use, And from a friends system burning up trying to use caps on 2000 watt system .

if you are under 800 watts you will be ok, if its a good cap (not walmart cap )

but most people around this site run 1000watt +

sorry i had 3% batt on my laptop so i was going fast. lol it died just as i hit post

"Walmart Where Car Audio Is Both Funny and Sad" "The weak are meat, and the strong do eat..."

Not trying to be a dick... But I think I only understood 35% of what you said. Please re-word

Not trying to be a dick... But I think I only understood 35% of what you said. Please re-word

ok edited , lol i was in a rush

"Walmart Where Car Audio Is Both Funny and Sad" "The weak are meat, and the strong do eat..."

Better :)

How do you know the cause of failure was due to a capacitor?

well walmart ... lol no everyone can be like you with your FrankenCAP lol if i had to use one, your way is the way

well walmart ... lol no everyone can be like you with your FrankenCAP lol if i had to use one, your way is the way

It's quality that you gotta get. Snow has good quality ones. But there are others out there. You can't go to el cheapo and get the best thing in the world. If you running a small system and such, el cheapo's will work. But run something big? Like we do? Yeah, it's not gonna fly.

They've done tests and posted results that show exactly that. Caps are beneficial. It was word out on the street that caps suck and this and that but people have done the research that... no. That's wrong. Caps do suck, if the quality of cap is bad OR bad install and such. But used properly and good quality? It'll be good.

Sheena = pedobear

was this friend also by chance running stock electrical, 1 batt and the walmart 4 gauge wiring kit that comes with that half farad cap?

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

LOL @ frankencap

Here's what I'm getting at: having a cap, even a cheap one won't cause a system to fail. If the cap sucks, it won't do much and you could pretend like it's not there since it's wired in parallel with the rest of the system. If it failed, I don't think it's fair to point the finger at the capacitor. There are lots of other things that can cause it to fail. Just because you were running a cap at the time of failure doesn't mean that's what causes it ;)

LOL @ frankencap

Here's what I'm getting at: having a cap, even a cheap one won't cause a system to fail. If the cap sucks, it won't do much and you could pretend like it's not there since it's wired in parallel with the rest of the system. If it failed, I don't think it's fair to point the finger at the capacitor. There are lots of other things that can cause it to fail. Just because you were running a cap at the time of failure doesn't mean that's what causes it ;)

if you run hard on the system (drain the cap)

but do not give it a chance to recharge.

Now your electrical is trying to supply the amp/s and the cap . if its a cheap cap with 4awg when you should have 0+ well,

thats when :shtf: caps make sub-par system go bad when they could have lasted , its not right but it could have saved it to not having a cap.

thats why i say Never use them .

yall know whats up, an know how to.

But weekly in my town i get asked "what do you think of this?" "Will you check my system?" "My amp keeps shutting off/Gets hella hot"

damn rich kids in a $50K truck buying walmart wire an caps . good amps shit power

LOL @ frankencap

if you run hard on the system (drain the cap)

but do not give it a chance to recharge.

Now your electrical is trying to supply the amp/s and the cap . if its a cheap cap with 4awg when you should have 0+ well,

thats when caps make sub-par system go bad when they could have lasted , its not right but it could have saved it to not having a cap.

thats why i say Never use them .r

That's where a lot of people are mistaken.

A capacitor doesn't fully drain, it only drains/charges to the same voltage as everything else. If you are charging at 14v and drop to 12s, the cap will cushion the drop down to 12v, but if you stay there - it won't present any extra load to the vehicle's electrical system. It physically can't - there is no difference in voltage between the cap and the car.

once the load subsides and your voltage increases, this is when the capacitor recharges itself. And recharging the capacitor is no different then having your alt try to run an amp. A load is a load, the alt doesn't "see" if it's a capacitor, amp, lights, etc. It will try and supply the proper power.

Do you know what a farad is? It's 1 amp-second-volt. 1 amp for 2 seconds will drain a 1f cap by 2v. Same with .5 amps for 4 seconds, or 8 amps for .5 seconds. Or if an alt is charging it. 80 amps for 0.0125 seconds. That 1/80th of a second to recharge won't hurt the alt. It's been working up a sweat running full power trying to supply the electrical demand of the amps. The batteries are chipping in too and they need to be recharged. They will take thousands of times the energy to charge back up as the little capacitor would.

So it's not really an additional load of anything. It only stores and releases as needed. It doesn't change the actual electrical demand of the system (determines by amps, lights, stock draw, etc).

I'd bet money that the amp shutting off/getting hella hot is due to the walmart wire, poor gain setting, and (generally) poor install all around. Not because of a dinky 1F cap

Archived