Amart88 Posted July 21, 2013 Report Posted July 21, 2013 I got a piece of 3/4" Plexiglass that i plan on using for a window in my enclosure. What would be the best way to attach it to the mdf? I have not used it before. I know I will predrill the plexi around the edges and use screws but I am not sure if I need to use any adheisives/silicone? or just weather stripping? Want it to be strong. Thanks. My 2005 s10 blazer build. 4 zcon 18's walled.
Lyferxb9s Posted July 21, 2013 Report Posted July 21, 2013 I'm about to do the same thing. My intentions are to leave a 1'' piece of wood behind it for mounting. It will be countersunk on a dual layer box so it will be flush. then using a 3/8'' bolt with a fender washer and a buttyl seal for windows from lows. I intend on take a 4x4'' piece of the plexi and torque it untill it cracks paying careful attention to the number is breaks at so I can torque the bolts down safely.
Purplehaze Posted July 21, 2013 Report Posted July 21, 2013 Screws/ glue. I'd use an epoxy. But if you use screws, it will be removable.I personally like to do both on an enclosure. Kickin' Cruiser Seller Feedback Stage 3 Dash, Door Panels,4th Order wall 4 - 15'son a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K'sSolo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build
Amart88 Posted July 21, 2013 Author Report Posted July 21, 2013 Yeah I kind of like the removable feature. There will be 3 layers of mdf. It is sandwiched in between. The rear piece will hopefully be removable around the window to replace or gain access if need be. If I need to glue it I will. I have heard that using weatherstip will cause it to crack when you put the screws in. Like I said, it's all new to me. My 2005 s10 blazer build. 4 zcon 18's walled.
Lyferxb9s Posted July 21, 2013 Report Posted July 21, 2013 Ths plexi for this box is actually how you access the subs since its a 4th order so it has to be removeable.
Amart88 Posted July 21, 2013 Author Report Posted July 21, 2013 Ths plexi for this box is actually how you access the subs since its a 4th order so it has to be removeable. Yes. But i don't have a 4th. I have a flat wall. The window is to act as a rear view mirror and to see inside and possibly extra access in a worst case scenario. Just need to know what should go in between the plexi and the wood. My 2005 s10 blazer build. 4 zcon 18's walled.
Rmichael91 Posted July 22, 2013 Report Posted July 22, 2013 Threaded inserts and security bolts with a butyl weather stripping to seal it up
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.