Sundown Audio

8 small amps vs 2 big amps

baaudio

efficiency is king. just like the canadian up there, 12 10s and doing what, a 58 with a ext cab wall (the only vehicle i've sat in to make me clinch my ass to keep from shitting). more of a pain in the ass, but the more you put into it, the more you get out of it, and that's what i believe in every situation.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Shell of box / baffle built by me

Port / sealing the box by John Hone

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

price has no influence on how something sounds

I told him to move the fucking port.

they see me hoppin they stoppin they can't believe im so white and dirty

It looks like you got so drunk, that someone came up and stole your leg.

if you're using the same power, 2 8ks or 8 2ks on 4 subs it's, on paper, better. ie: steve mick. 8 18s, 16 1700s.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

bad troll, because if your "Testing" is anything worth reason you'd know as well as i do, every single application is different in every single vehicle, environment, weather condition.

so techincally, your "testing" is invalid because it wasn't in a controlled setting. thus, where "on paper" comes into play.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

bad troll, because if your "Testing" is anything worth reason you'd know as well as i do, every single application is different in every single vehicle, environment, weather condition.

so techincally, your "testing" is invalid because it wasn't in a controlled setting. thus, where "on paper" comes into play.

Who's trolling?

You said "on paper" multiple smaller amps are more efficient than fewer larger ones. Meaning... there's some theory or science to it. Hence, something you could reference.

And I'm not sure why you quoted "testing" like that. And every single application is not different. Similar rise on similar voltage is going to yield similar results. Not that that matters since I always test in the same car and the same box and the same electrical with the same meters.

Well worst case, I can sell either setup without losing my ass on the gear

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

not to be an ass Jetta, but TFade isnt your run of the mill forum know it all, he is like many other people on here, talk cold hard facts, or dont talk at all.

The only think i could think of with more amps is like with more coil, more heatsink, and material to dissipate more heat faster, but other than that, i dont know.

edit: i say 2 big amps, less room for error.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

when you start to break down the power going between subs/coils the power gets broken down as well. think of charlie and the chocolate factory what happens when the boy is transfered from the beam to the tv. there's a 99.9 repeating consistency of everything going through properly, but there's always that small amount that gets lost in the transfer. what happens when you bite a cookie? the more you bite it, the more crumbs you lose through taking multiple bits than one big bite. so if there's 16k being thrown around, 8 2ks with one per coil will have less of a lose since a amp is throwing its (for arguments sake) 100% efficiency per coil, than, 1 8k being broken up between 4 coils and losing, say .1% per coil. so while it's still a 99.6% efficiency. again this is on paper, because amps aren't 100% in real world application.

lastly, no you don't have a perfect testing result. perfect testing would have to be in a vacuum because on cooler days you might gain or lose compared to warmer days. altitude can change score due to pressure on the vehicle. some gain with more pressure on the cabin, some gain with less pressure. so in order to have a perfect testing condition you need to be a lifeless vacuum.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

The wiring is pretty simple either way honestly. Ya I'll burn up 2 spools of 1/0 wiring it but that's consumable.

I designed my wall with a bolt for each terminal. Each coil has a run of 8 gauge to it. So if with 8 I had one fail I would just rewire to 4 amps.

I like the idea of multiples because you don't see it often. But an argument could be made that you don't see it because it's not ideal.

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

Archived