Sonic Electronix

Stereo into a boat without an alternator

Well, I am not sure if this is the best location for this topic, so if it needs to be moved I completely understand.

With that being said the topic kind of lays it out, but for a little more detail it goes something like this:

A buddy asked me to recommend a stereo to him for his boat and when we started discussing options it came up that he doesn't have an inboard motor with an alternator on it, instead he has the older motor that has the generator on top of his engine. I haven't seen it yet, but this is how he described it to me. So basically he can't just swap an alternator into the pully system like you could on old impala engines and such.

With this being the case, I am looking for some COST EFFICIENT ideas for him. He doesn't want to go broke, and wants to keep it faily inexpensive, but what are his options? A seperate battery bank of deep cycle batteries isn't necessarily cost efficient, and he is looking to have something that is basically a small sub, and 4 speakers or so....that would be be able to last for a while without putting a draw onto his main battery leaving him stranded.

So I know this isn't an ideal situation, but hoping there are some options!

Any help is appreciated!

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

You could throw some batteries in there and treat it like you would if you had an electric motor: use it while you are on the water, charge it when you get back.

Well, I am not sure if this is the best location for this topic, so if it needs to be moved I completely understand.

With that being said the topic kind of lays it out, but for a little more detail it goes something like this:

A buddy asked me to recommend a stereo to him for his boat and when we started discussing options it came up that he doesn't have an inboard motor with an alternator on it, instead he has the older motor that has the generator on top of his engine. I haven't seen it yet, but this is how he described it to me. So basically he can't just swap an alternator into the pully system like you could on old impala engines and such.

With this being the case, I am looking for some COST EFFICIENT ideas for him. He doesn't want to go broke, and wants to keep it faily inexpensive, but what are his options? A seperate battery bank of deep cycle batteries isn't necessarily cost efficient, and he is looking to have something that is basically a small sub, and 4 speakers or so....that would be be able to last for a while without putting a draw onto his main battery leaving him stranded.

So I know this isn't an ideal situation, but hoping there are some options!

Any help is appreciated!

well if he can swap out that Gen. for a alt. that will help a Lot.

the problem will be finding one to fit or making one fit.

what kind of system ?

how many watts?

"Walmart Where Car Audio Is Both Funny and Sad" "The weak are meat, and the strong do eat..."

You could throw some batteries in there and treat it like you would if you had an electric motor: use it while you are on the water, charge it when you get back.

That was pretty much the simplest solution I could think of and told him that was an option for him. Downside to that option is he was talking like 5-8 hours on the water, and I don't know that a battery or even a battery bank would hold up to that long of a draw without doing some damage to the equipment when the voltage dropped low enough.

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

damn double post. Sorry

well if he can swap out that Gen. for a alt. that will help a Lot.

the problem will be finding one to fit or making one fit.

what kind of system ?

how many watts?

Agreed, I told him if he could figure out getting an alternator in there that would givfe him the most bang for his buck. He wasn't sure it could be done in his current configuration, but again, I haven't seen it yet so I can't confirm.

Small system. 1 small sub, 4 speakers....possibly just 1 5 channel amp, or 1 multi channel amp.

What amps? Specifically?

And I'm not sure that solar panels would be the most cost effective solution. They are pretty pricey and you need a fair bit of space to get any appreciable power out of them

Solar panels?

Lol....never though of going that route. They sell small enough panels that would pull enough to keep up with the electrical demands?

What amps?

Fortunately he doesn't have anything picked out, or on hand for equipment so that part is flexible as long as costs are reasonable.

Archived