Sonic Electronix

I almost shaved off the rear window because I loved shaving off my side windows so much. I've done it twice now since my brother wanted his 95 Chevy to look clean and solid. But the more I thought about and I practically had the metal in hand...then realized it would look so much like a boat. And I really didn't want that.

I'm not in my truck today but I can take pictures of both trucks with the site windows deleted as soon as I get home. Both trucks will be walled off so having rear windows was of no use and I really wanted to do something different and original. But with the rear window...I felt that the look of the glass outweighed the pros of having it all metal.

I'd appreciate it. Just to give me a better idea of how to go about it.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Is that the guy that did a resin sand mix or somthing, looked like concrete in his sunroof.

That's the one.

I think it was Pioneer Saturn. I did follow his build of the death horn. He took glassing to whole new level.

yep thats who it was.....But I wouldn't do what your thinking out of fiberglass. Like you mentioned, temperature difference is your worst enemy....along with body flex. It would most likely just start cracking around the edges. If you were gonna go to that length, your better off welding metal in. When you have the glass out, the pinchweld would be a great place to lay in a metal sheet; you would just have to strengthen it up so it doesn't move.

That's what I was afraid of. I have jack for experience working with metal. That would be something I would have to farm out for sure.

Yeah man that's what sucks.....plus if you ever wanted to go back, you'd have a hell of a time getting it out. Here's another idea though....What if you removed the back window and just made a fiberglass piece to fit where the glass was. instead of molding it to the body, you can urethane it in, just like the glass would be. The only bad part would be there is still gonna be a seam.

That could definitely work. I could do some glassing and filling so it would be a really fine seam as opposed to a giant piece of rubber around the outside. I am redoing the rear deck and would like to tie that into a fiberglass window that connects the infinite baffle and the midbass enclosures in the seat bottom. The amps would be at rear deck level on a floating rack above the subs. I can see it in my head but to build it the way I want the window has to go.

that sounds like it would look sick man.

I am ordering the 15" midbass next Thursday. :)

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Never though I would see 15" and midbass in the same sentence on here..lol which ones?

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Personally, when I delete (shave) something, it gets filled in with metal and welded all the way around. Then grind the weld down and look for any seems. The reason this is done is because the metal is constantly being stressed and pulled in different directions. If there is not a proper fusion between the two pieces, it will tear and fall apart.

Sheet metal isn't neccesarily hard to work with, but it requires a TON of patience. Honestly, anyone can do all the tack welding and grinding. The hardest part is getting the metal to shape and form.

If you plan on doing a large surface area, you'll need reinforcements as well. Strongly consider what you are deleting. Body lines and windows are added to cars for a reason. You have to be very visual before you shave something. Otherwise the outcome could be a disaster.

This is no small task. If you decide to do it, I wish you luck.

Never though I would see 15" and midbass in the same sentence on here..lol which ones?

I am picking up some Eminence Beta 15A's from PE. Only 4mm of xmax but we are talking about a 15" and it is a midbass not a sub. They will play from 60-250 hz. The 12" in the front doors play 250 hz and up. Should be a kick ass three way when it is done. After that I may do a 10" shallow subwoofer in the dash. Another overly ambitious project I have on my "to do" list. :P

Personally, when I delete (shave) something, it gets filled in with metal and welded all the way around. Then grind the weld down and look for any seems. The reason this is done is because the metal is constantly being stressed and pulled in different directions. If there is not a proper fusion between the two pieces, it will tear and fall apart.

Sheet metal isn't neccesarily hard to work with, but it requires a TON of patience. Honestly, anyone can do all the tack welding and grinding. The hardest part is getting the metal to shape and form.

If you plan on doing a large surface area, you'll need reinforcements as well. Strongly consider what you are deleting. Body lines and windows are added to cars for a reason. You have to be very visual before you shave something. Otherwise the outcome could be a disaster.

This is no small task. If you decide to do it, I wish you luck.

I am still in the "research" phase so I won't be doing anything soon. Just trying to get a sense of how in over my head this project would be.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

That sounds like on hell of an idea, my friend. Like has been said before, structure and keeping the body lines would be my main concern.

Lane AKA HeroKight

'96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

That's a category 5 shit storm coming

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

^^^Rules. Follow them.^^^

I did supports on my Chevy (the black 03) because my sub amps (AQ20s) are going to be mounted in the rear doors. Wanted to start with a strong structure to help eliminate the vibrations. I have more planned but don't really have much to do with shaving the rear windows out.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I really wish I did step by step pictures. I'm very bad at that as its nowhere in my train of thought. I just get it done and I'm lucky if I even take a picture of the finished product, lol

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived