sem will seem expensive but it holds up very well even in our arizona 100+ degree heat. we recently did a hummer h1 interior. i think it took a little over 1 gal to finish everything and it was a wagon so it was huge!

Yea - I'm down here in the same weather. I'm south of nogales in Hermosillo.

HU: Pioneer DMH-Z5350BT

Mids & Highs: ML280.3, ML700.3, ML1800.3 Mille Legend Series 3 way

Lows: x3 JL Audio 12TW3 powered by JL Audio RD1500/1 

Cable: x2 Skyhigh 0 Gage OFC kits. Skyhigh 8 gage & 16 gage OFC speaker cable

Sound Deadener: 121 sq feet of Skyhigh 120mil
DSP: AudioControl DM 810

Project Build Log

Click here: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SQ Build to see the build progress.

I hate the textured look of stock pieces. Glass them, or body fill and sand and repeat until smooth

But you can't fiber glass the top of a dashboard can you? Hmm - I wonder what that would look like in a truck.

I hate the textured look of stock pieces. Glass them, or body fill and sand and repeat until smooth

But you can't fiber glass the top of a dashboard can you? Hmm - I wonder what that would look like in a truck.

no reason to fiberglass. to many problems with shrink back. just prime with bulldog or a good 2k flexible primer and sand till smooth. on my silverado we sanded off most of the texture first so we didnt have to build up to much primer so we didnt get cracking. After painting my dash the factory blue metallic i ended up wrapping in because i couldn't see out the from window in the sun. but it looked dam good painted

What do you mean you can't?

Yeah, I didnt even think about that. Im looking at google images - pictures. I didnt even consider it as an idea. SO MANY OPTIONS!

Project Build Log

If you want a long lasting, quality job, prime the interior panels with a flexible surface primer and similar paint. Just make sure the panels are very clean and free of any oily residues from your hands, etc. before priming and painting them and you'll be good.

What brand have you used? In a can?

I don't remember brands because it's been (at least) a few decades since I worked in a paint and body shop and I haven't sprayed any interior panels of late. But brand isn't as important as the product you use. I would go to an automotive paint supply house or look for one online that sells quality interior paints. Tell them what you're after and they'll tell you what they have that will work.

And as has already been said, there are new products available now that don't require priming so, your choices are many.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

If you want a long lasting, quality job, prime the interior panels with a flexible surface primer and similar paint. Just make sure the panels are very clean and free of any oily residues from your hands, etc. before priming and painting them and you'll be good.

What brand have you used? In a can?

I don't remember brands because it's been (at least) a few decades since I worked in a paint and body shop and I haven't sprayed any interior panels of late. But brand isn't as important as the product you use. I would go to an automotive paint supply house or look for one online that sells quality interior paints. Tell them what you're after and they'll tell you what they have that will work.

And as has already been said, there are new products available now that don't require priming so, your choices are many.

Thanks for your time and feedback - sharing your experience. Thank You!

Project Build Log

here in a pic of mine when i first did it about a year and a half ago. still holding up great

IMG_3432_zpsb1495fb5.jpg

thats so cool! How much paint did you use? You used this one: http://www.amazon.com/SEM-Paints-SEM15013-Color-Coat/dp/B000PL24M6/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1374905676&sr=1-3

???

Project Build Log

lol no this is my personal truck. it was where we sanded off most of the texture first and then primed the panels and sanded smooth and then the guys who painted the truck ended up spraying the paint on it because i wanted it to be smooth enough that i did not have to wet sand and buff every interior piece. This is all done in base coat clear coat car paint. It is a long drawn out process if you plan on doing a whole interior like i did.

with the sem stuff you can just wipe panels clean with any pre wipe product or even alcohol would work ok and then spray it out of a spray gun. usuall 2 coats will cover and look good. also this way does not add much thickness unlike the car paint and primer i have on my interior pic i posted.

Oh you're funny!

lol no this is my personal truck.

LOL! I prob. wont have it sanded down - I personally think while the sanded down look - looks pretty cool - I think I like the texture look. The product options here are limited so I will order online when run up to my PMB and pick it up but I think oreillys carries it so I will call there tomorrow.

Would you mind taking a look at my other thread if you have time - you've been awesome!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/172737-1999-silverado-1500/

Thanks everyone!

Project Build Log

If I were you I would look into SEM some others have mentioned it. When I used it, it did an amazing job. Just be very detailed with prep work and you'll be good.

SMD_zps84fd99a2.jpg
95 Acura Integra - 5-speed
NFG thumb.gif
Pioneer FH-X700BT
(2) Rockford Fosgate 12" P3
AQ1200d
Rockford Fosgate P1652-S 6.5" components
Rockford Fosgate P1572 5x7"
Rockford Fosgate R400.4

95 Integra Build Here
93 EJ2 Build Here

Archived