Hello,

I want to paint the plastic pieces in my truck a different color. Currently it's a blue-ish color and would like a matte black. Everyone here locally ( mexico ) says that it doesn't look factory when you paint it a different color - but maybe thats just the brand of products that are here local.

What brand - process have you used to paint the dash, door panels, etc, etc? What did you learn? Would you do it again? How does it look today?

Thanks!

HU: Pioneer DMH-Z5350BT

Mids & Highs: ML280.3, ML700.3, ML1800.3 Mille Legend Series 3 way

Lows: x3 JL Audio 12TW3 powered by JL Audio RD1500/1 

Cable: x2 Skyhigh 0 Gage OFC kits. Skyhigh 8 gage & 16 gage OFC speaker cable

Sound Deadener: 121 sq feet of Skyhigh 120mil
DSP: AudioControl DM 810

Project Build Log

Click here: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SQ Build to see the build progress.

If you want a long lasting, quality job, prime the interior panels with a flexible surface primer and similar paint. Just make sure the panels are very clean and free of any oily residues from your hands, etc. before priming and painting them and you'll be good.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Plasti dip? Just a thought been thinking of doing it to mine

1999 Durango

Current

2 15" DC level 3 15s

kenwood HU

Cresendo bc2000

Big 3 upgrade

Sky high car audio wire

Coming soon

Cresendo c1100.4

double din

New Build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/168661-99-durango-dc-audio-package-in-and-box-almost-done/?p=2464991

Clean Build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/171619-dc-audio-durango-clean-build/

sem makes interior dyes that are perfect for interiors. pretty expensive in a spray can but you can also buy by the gallon. we have used the landau black on many interior color changes with amazing results. also does not require a pre spray or primer but makes sure you clean the panels first

I hate the textured look of stock pieces. Glass them, or body fill and sand and repeat until smooth

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

If you want a long lasting, quality job, prime the interior panels with a flexible surface primer and similar paint. Just make sure the panels are very clean and free of any oily residues from your hands, etc. before priming and painting them and you'll be good.

What brand have you used? In a can?

I never heard of Plasti dip. :) Thanks for that - I am looking into that now!

sem makes interior dyes that are perfect for interiors. pretty expensive in a spray can but you can also buy by the gallon. we have used the landau black on many interior color changes with amazing results. also does not require a pre spray or primer but makes sure you clean the panels first

GREAT! SEM - a new brand name I didnt know of. So they have a primer in them. Nice! Thanks for confirming that you have used it before.

You guys are awesome.

Project Build Log

What brand have you used? In a can?

I never heard of Plasti dip. :) Thanks for that - I am looking into that now!

GREAT! SEM - a new brand name I didnt know of. So they have a primer in them. Nice! Thanks for confirming that you have used it before.

You guys are awesome.

sem will seem expensive but it holds up very well even in our arizona 100+ degree heat. we recently did a hummer h1 interior. i think it took a little over 1 gal to finish everything and it was a wagon so it was huge!

I hate the textured look of stock pieces. Glass them, or body fill and sand and repeat until smooth

But you can't fiber glass the top of a dashboard can you? Hmm - I wonder what that would look like in a truck.

Project Build Log

Archived