Second Skin Audio

question about subs heating up

Xplay75

I have 2 12 American bass xo subs in a prefab box,they are ran by a rf 1500 bdcp.the subs are rated 400 rms and 600 max,I know my amp can over power them,so when I set my gain I turned it till it distorted then backed it off a bit while having the hu at my normal listening level,the amp gain is between 3 and 5 witch is a little over quarter,they aren't distorting at all but they tend to get not hot but warm and they don't smell at all so is it normal for subs to heat up when over powered? Any advice woud b helpful

Yes, the subs cannot thermally handle the power you are giving them, hence they get warm

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

Yes, you should also make sure you are not clipping signal to it as well

Is it a sealed box or ported? And roughly what size and tuning?

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

I know its not clipping,when I had my amp hooked up to 2 kicker l7 15s I had my buddy use a dd1 and its the same hu and that clips at 35 and my normal volume is 25-29,and my amp clips a little over half and its set a little over quarter so I know its not clipping,the box is a pre fab slot port,i measured the box and put the dementions in a box tuning program and it came up with 3 cubes and the tune is 36 hz,the port is only 11 inches long so I know its a high tune

I have 2 12 American bass xo subs in a prefab box,they are ran by a rf 1500 bdcp.the subs are rated 400 rms and 600 max,I know my amp can over power them,so when I set my gain I turned it till it distorted then backed it off a bit while having the hu at my normal listening level,the amp gain is between 3 and 5 witch is a little over quarter,they aren't distorting at all but they tend to get not hot but warm and they don't smell at all so is it normal for subs to heat up when over powered? Any advice woud b helpful

Engage your subsonic filter to 30Hz or so.

Thanks everyone for your help,I would change the subsonic filter Joe but the rf 1500 isent adjustable,only on or off switch,just got back from adjusting the gain,I lowered it to 3 on the gain wich is just under a quarter,played some decaf for a while and then felt the dust cap,it was a little warm,but any sub that u over power will get a littl. Warm I wouldn't listen to it that loud all the time any way,they slam

Archived