Fuse charge wires or not?

Huh.... Learn something new every day. Good stuff Tony, I appreciate the explanation! :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the regulator read off of the batteries internal resistance to figure the charging voltage? With that being said wouldn't adding an in line fuse create more resistance causing the alternator to charge at the wrong voltage for the battery? Or would be the said resistance of the fuse be so small that it would not make a difference?

I think you misunderstood the question at hand snow. Yes a fuse does not influence voltage drop hardly at all, but I was not talking about voltage drop. Not directly at least. I was referring to the resistance the regulator is seeing from the battery. How much is it changed by adding an inline fuse? How much if any does voltage change from the alternator to the battery? Wondered if anyone has tested this yet. I'm guessing it is a small amount equal to maybe around a tenth to a hundredth of a volt.

Voltage regulator doesn't charge based on resistance, if charges based on voltage. Hence the term voltage regulator.

A fuse, which by design is a source of resistance will create a very very tiny amount of voltage drop, and may cause the alt to charge oh so slightly higher

But realistically the difference isn't enough to measure. Let alone notice a difference.

Hopefully that made sense? Or I'm way off base and still not understanding the question lol

Archived