Second Skin Audio

questions for fs and tuning

DCdakota

I'm about to build a new box, my level 4 has a fs of 30.6 and I want to play lows (20-30) very well and not ruin my 30-45Hz tones... My box now is tuned to about 40 and my sub sounds like its about to bottom out in the 27Hz area does that sound right since the fs is 30? ill admit I'm no pro box designer so could someone help me?

What do you have your subsonic at? I always set it 10hz under tuning

*Hummer H3*

HeadUnit

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

Mids and Highs

8-CT Sounds Pro 8" 8ohm

4-CT Sounds Pro Tweeters

Amplifiers

1-CT Sounds 125.4

1-CT Sounds 60.4

1-CT Sounds 7000.1

Electrical

3-Runs of 1/0 CT Sounds

8-XS Power D3100

3-Iraggi 300 amp Alternators

Subwoofers

4-SQ Hdc3 15" Subwoofers

(Soon to be 4 15" Ct Sounds EXO)

What power is being used and in what vehicle?

SSF is not a wall, and generally should be set a little below tuning. FS is the free air resonance so once the sub is placed in an enclosure that specific number alone doesn't really do much for you. You will want to plot and calculate for your f3.

I like the level 4s. If you're really wanting to play down to 27 I'd probably tune to about 33Hz

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

What power is being used and in what vehicle?

SSF is not a wall, and generally should be set a little below tuning. FS is the free air resonance so once the sub is placed in an enclosure that specific number alone doesn't really do much for you. You will want to plot and calculate for your f3.

I like the level 4s. If you're really wanting to play down to 27 I'd probably tune to about 33Hz

he wants to play 20-30hz.

TEAM SUNDOWN HAWAIIHAWAIICARAUDIO.NET

150Db Club

160Db club in the future

I see krakin as a threat

Which truck specifically, not just,"I have a regular cab". I have a 2003 full-size GMC Sierra, also with the center console taken out. And why is your passenger seat out as well?

If you want a truly flat responding box, you may have to sacrifice some SPL to do that. A well ported box will HAVE a peak around tuning. So if you skimp on port area, you may get that flatness you desire, but may lack your highest SPL score. It probably wouldn't be MUCH of a sacrifice, just a slight one.

As others said, your box tuning and design are what affect your ability to play certain frequencies, nit the sub's Fs. You didn't mention the internal volume of the box you're currently running, what is it? How many cubes and what size port are you currently running?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Its a regular cab 2001 Dakota with all black interior :) specific enough? But the box is 30w X 19h X 18d and the slot port is 3w X 17h tuned to 41 using the 12v.com. but I just realized the back of the port (the part that goes across the rear) is only 2.25 instead of 3" could that be my problem

Archived