Now the fun process begins.. rebuild time! 6 months exactly to euro finals, so complete teardown and rebuild from the ground up. Not changing everything out, just improving on everything from cabling, damping, building stronger baffles etc etc. But will change entire trunk setup. Will be getting help from carbon fiber and plexiglass build master Nautiluz (check out his build logs on BMW M3 and X5 on this forum) for the new trunk layout.

https://www.facebook.com/NautiluzCreation/photos_albums

Should be an interesting process :)

Best of luck with the rebuild Sir ...

I have plenty of changes in store for my Sound Quality truck for next year as well ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Ok, so this is the case now.. A lot will be improved over winter, first and foremost these things:

- lay proper wires of decent quality, especially replacing the £5 RCA cables of various brands that are there now

- deadening of the whole car incl roof. Not just front doors as it sits now

- collect my leather doorpanels and modify them so big midbass drivers and baffles fit behind them like the current ones.

- make steel baffles in the doors instead of glued on MDF like now

- modifying the mounting position of the head unit so it sits 2-3cm further in (more on this later)

- probably do up all wiring in braiding and heatshrink just so it is done. Since I keep getting pulled 1 pt. in craftsmanship wiring for not having it.

- permanently installing a charger and hardwiring it to the distribution block in the back, if not to a second battery if I choose to install that.

This will be done regardless of what is to be done in the boot area.

But regarding setup in the back, I have to decide if I want to keep the same, and just built a nicer install around it. Or do a change of equipment. I've heard what I believe to be the ultimate subwoofer, based on my impression of sound quality, and its merits in other setups around the world. And this is the Digital Designs Z18. I've heard a very custom (and probably unusual) one, specified spesifically to be a SQ subwoofer for a sealed enclosure. This is made with the softest spiders, thinnest/lightest carbon fiber cone (1 layer carbon + 1 layer kevlar) they could make, high impedance (2x4") coils. And it sounds amazing! The car it's in is a multiple european SQ champion, so it's not just me that think that it's great ;) That the same sub in a different setup also have multiple SPL world records and can take 20kw+ is irrelevant in this matter, but also still nice to know :)

Price is the main issue, but then again, it probably would be the last sub purchase (ever?) made. Specced like the one above, it works very well in a 140 (or so) liter sealed box, and that is no problem to accomodate in the Golf. Will lose all free space, but that is the only drawback installvise. Decisions decisions!

IMG_4110_zpsdbb8ec78.jpg

Not long until winter is creeping up over here in the far north, maybe the last shot of the year with summer wheels on :) Good thing I'm now renting part of a 2000 square feet workshop/installbay, so no need to work in a freezing small garage as I'm used to :P

A custom z18 as if the original wasn't expensive enough. I've also never seen a sq car with an 18. Interested to see what becomes of this

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Go for it man.

Just when you switch to SPL you'll need some of the cables behind your car.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

SQ (champion) car with Z18 can look like this :)

IMG_3251.jpg

that speaker grill is pure sex

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Archived