Second Skin Audio

Aero-Port box vs Slot Port box?

chad190

what's going on guys. i've been saving up for a while and finally have enough for an aq1200 and 2 obsidian 12's. now i just need to build myself a box.
i was looking around and a lot of people build a lot of aero-port boxes.. do they sound better? they seem a lot easier to build than the slot port.

i found this port on sonicelectronix .. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_44988_Xscorpion-AP4.10-AeroPort.html

do i litterally screw it in and that's my port? (if dimensions are correct of course)

right now i have a box built for 2 other subs but it's 1.8 cu ft*3 to each sub and tuned to like 38. so i was gonna put the obsidians in that inverted til i can build a box for them. just curious if aero port sounds better/ or if it's easier to build?

thanks

2006 Monte Carlo

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

2 SSA ZCON 12's

5 Cube Box tuned to 32 Hz

Soundqubed 3500.1

PAC LC-1

Singer 320 Amp Alt

XS D3100 & Kinetik HC2400 in trunk

Super Start AGM Under Hood

80ft+ Sky High 1/0

40 ft^3 120mil sky high deadener

Soundqubed Pro Audio 6.5" mids

Soundqubed Super Tweeters

Alpine 1" Tweeters

Alpine MRP-F300

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the thing about aero ports is that they are more efficient due to being more aerodynamic. the big thing that is mis-understood about them is that people think that if you use an aero port then you can use less port area, which is stupid because the whole purpose of using an aero port is to take advantage of the added efficiency and using less port area defeats that.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Noob question.. what's the right amount of port area for this situation?

2006 Monte Carlo

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

2 SSA ZCON 12's

Soundqubed 3500.1

PAC LC-1

Singer 320 Amp Alt

80ft+ Sky High 1/0

Alpine 1" Tweeters

Alpine MRP-F300

Noob question.. what's the right amount of port area for this situation?

simple question vs complex answer.

there is alot more information that would have to be known to give an accurate answer to that question. but im sure some jackass will be along shortly to give you some uneducated and overly generalized rule of thumb guesstimation that has absolutely zero relevance to your install.

Owner of BigAss Ports

Haha alright what you need to know?

2006 Monte Carlo

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

2 SSA ZCON 12's

Soundqubed 3500.1

PAC LC-1

Singer 320 Amp Alt

80ft+ Sky High 1/0

Alpine 1" Tweeters

Alpine MRP-F300

Haha alright what you need to know?

well, there is alot of stuff that goes into figuring a port. your port size is dictated by many many things. the shape of the port contributes in that it is directly relevant to the efficiency of the port. the actual depth of the enclosure contributes to it since the depth of the enclosure will also have to be considered since it affects the internal wavelength, and how that will relate to the tuning of the port. the amount of power to the sub will affect its mechanical power handling, so there be an appropriate amount of back pressure inside the enclosure to help keep the sub under control mechanically, and there must be an appropriate compromise between mechanical control and cycling enough air to keep the subs thermal power handling in check. also, the proximity of the driver to any internal panels of the vehicle and how that affects the amount of forward pressure on the sub, and therefore also the mechanical power handling.

there are a few more factors involved as well, and this is the reason why i dont really offer many enclosure suggestions online beyond fabrication techniques and such. i only design enclosures for vehicles that i have here with me. with access to vehicle, i can verify all of my information and design the enclosure properly and get optimal performance out of it.

i am old school in that i believe that if a project is worth doing, then its worth doing right. i just cant bring myself to spread bullshit information online or design half ass enclosures that are about as far away from optimal as something can be. any generalized rule of thumb you try to use is only enough information to be dangerous. joe x is a prime example of this.

Owner of BigAss Ports

Oh come on Hugh. You know 12-16 per cuft is the law, anything over 16 is SPL only, less port area is better for wider frequency response, I can tune to 40 and still play flat to 20, and as long as you don't clip it will all be ok.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

the thing i love about aeroports is the flexibility... cutting and changing ports can yield some pretty interesting results once you play around on a TL with it... an inch or 2 of port can make a big difference

not only in numbers but also bandwidth, its not all about the size of the port as to how big your bandwidth is

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

Archived