Sonic Electronix

Everyone with Knowledge on Going Active, I Need You to Chime In Please!!

once you get into time alignment ... you will understand active alot better and will only work better when you make the jump ...

that 2 channel on a 2 way passive will help out ALOT !!! please do not over gain ... start very low (flat) and work your way up if needed

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

once you get into time alignment ... you will understand active alot better and will only work better when you make the jump ...

that 2 channel on a 2 way passive will help out ALOT !!! please do not over gain ... start very low (flat) and work your way up if needed

I'm still going to research as it would be nice to do someting different from what most people know... and YES!! I used to own a 400-4 by RF and was satisfied, but to know I have so much power that'll be ready is just another reason to updrade in the future LOL... now question... I plan to get a DD-1 for the gain... Should I match the amp and deck and then ease off so I wont put too much thru my componenets?

2011 Nissan Altima aka Red Ruby

HEADUNIT: Pioneer AVH X2700BS

ELECTRICAL:

-Singer 230a

-Northstar gr34

-(2) Northstar SMS220 w/ Custom Terminals from 12V Metalworkz

-100% Welding Cable

FRONT STAGE:
-(2 Sets) Hertz HSK165

-Hertz HSK130

-Ampere Audio 125.4

SUB STAGE:

-(3) Sundown Audio SA REV2 12's

-Ampere Audio 3800.1 V2

MISC (NON AUDIO RELATED):

-Interior & Exterior Lights LED

-Gloss Black Roof (PAINTED)

-15% Front, 5% Rear Tint

-Roof Spoiler

-20" TSW Snettertons (20x8.5 front, 20x10 rear)

-Custom Projector Retrofit (FX-R 3.0, 6.5k HID, Morimoto Mini H1 (faux projector), Quad Starry Night Halos) ----- COMING SOON!!

-Aftermarket Fog Lights

-Custom Painted Engine Covers

My Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169869-woods-2011-altima-aka-red-ruby-new-video-more-updates/page-109

Retrofit Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185787-hid-projector-retrofitting-diy-by-wood/#entry2765346

now question... I plan to get a DD-1 for the gain... Should I match the amp and deck and then ease off so I wont put too much thru my componenets?

No ... No need for a DD-1 when it comes to anything other than sub bass ... and that is primarily used in class D amplifiers ...

You set your gains by ear when it comes to music ... plain and simple

Set your gains flat (as low as posible) listen for a while and get a feel for the amplifier's output power. then set your volume up to about 3/4 volume and gain up to where it's just about to distort out and back off 1/8 gain ... in some cases, you won't need gain, then again, every application is different. just remember that gain is "input gain" and not amplifier output stage gain ... so pay close attention to what you send into the amplifier and make sure it's a good clean signal ... larger amplifiers will pick up any and the least amount of distortion and amplify it dramatically ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

now question... I plan to get a DD-1 for the gain... Should I match the amp and deck and then ease off so I wont put too much thru my componenets?

No ... No need for a DD-1 when it comes to anything other than sub bass ... and that is primarily used in class D amplifiers ...

You set your gains by ear when it comes to music ... plain and simple

Set your gains flat (as low as posible) listen for a while and get a feel for the amplifier's output power. then set your volume up to about 3/4 volume and gain up to where it's just about to distort out and back off 1/8 gain ... in some cases, you won't need gain, then again, every application is different. just remember that gain is "input gain" and not amplifier output stage gain ... so pay close attention to what you send into the amplifier and make sure it's a good clean signal ... larger amplifiers will pick up any and the least amount of distortion and amplify it dramatically ...

Ok now im really confused! so how do i know when to stop because some distortion isnt audible but can still aafect the speaker.. and I plan to run a RF T1500 so i should be good to use the DD-1 for that right?

The reason im confused is becuase I set my gains on my old 400-4 by ear and although it sounded good, it also distorted and I felt like the amp had more potential then what I was seting it by ear..

ELECTRICAL:

-Singer 230a

-Northstar gr34

-100% Welding Cable

FRONT STAGE:
-(2 Sets) Hertz HSK165

-Hertz HSK130

-Ampere Audio 125.4

SUB STAGE:

-Ampere Audio 3800.1 V2

-15% Front, 5% Rear Tint

-Roof Spoiler

-Custom Projector Retrofit (FX-R 3.0, 6.5k HID, Morimoto Mini H1 (faux projector), Quad Starry Night Halos) ----- COMING SOON!!

-Aftermarket Fog Lights

My Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169869-woods-2011-altima-aka-red-ruby-new-video-more-updates/page-109

Retrofit Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185787-hid-projector-retrofitting-diy-by-wood/#entry2765346

Ok now im really confused! so how do i know when to stop because some distortion isnt audible but can still aafect the speaker.. and I plan to run a RF T1500 so i should be good to use the DD-1 for that right?

The reason im confused is becuase I set my gains on my old 400-4 by ear and although it sounded good, it also distorted and I felt like the amp had more potential then what I was seting it by ear..

Trial and error ... and experience.

fine to use on subs ... but this amp you are getting is larger than the 400-4. just try it with no gain for a few days (more like a few weeks) and then come back to this thread and give me details and thoughts ... then we can go from there

Trial and error ... and experience.

fine to use on subs ... but this amp you are getting is larger than the 400-4. just try it with no gain for a few days (more like a few weeks) and then come back to this thread and give me details and thoughts ... then we can go from there

Ok.. Thank you for you help too! Very informative and money saving lol .. also when you say "no gain" does that mean the dial is turned down literially? I thought no sound wouldnt come thru... i know its not a vloume knob but I figured there also would be no sound

ELECTRICAL:

-Singer 230a

-Northstar gr34

-100% Welding Cable

FRONT STAGE:
-(2 Sets) Hertz HSK165

-Hertz HSK130

-Ampere Audio 125.4

SUB STAGE:

-Ampere Audio 3800.1 V2

-15% Front, 5% Rear Tint

-Roof Spoiler

-Aftermarket Fog Lights

In most stereo amplifiers ... 0 gain is normally matched with the head unit and it does amplify the signal for output meaning yes, you should have sufficient output ... But it might be a good idea to verify this with the brand's service center since I've never personally run that particular product ...

In most stereo amplifiers ... 0 gain is normally matched with the head unit and it does amplify the signal for output meaning yes, you should have sufficient output ... But it might be a good idea to verify this with the brand's service center since I've never personally run that particular product ...

Thank you, for all your help!

ELECTRICAL:

-Singer 230a

-Northstar gr34

-100% Welding Cable

FRONT STAGE:
-(2 Sets) Hertz HSK165

-Hertz HSK130

-Ampere Audio 125.4

SUB STAGE:

-Ampere Audio 3800.1 V2

-15% Front, 5% Rear Tint

-Roof Spoiler

-Aftermarket Fog Lights

Archived