Sundown Audio

Amp is getting very hot ! Need Help!

Austin42156

Sorry guys I was wrong lol I called Kenwood to clear things up just a little bit ago and they told me that when I called a few months ago that the tech must have gotten my amp confused with another amp they sold that does have the jumper on it. So at this moment I have a 4 ohm load going to my amp. The tech I talked to today said that if I wired my subs in parallel the load to the amp would be dropping from 4 to 1 ohm. Since my two subs are both single voice coil. Is this information correct, will the load be at 1 ohm after wiring in parallel? Thanks !

- 1995 Pontiac Trans Am

- 5.7 LT1 V8
- Kenwood Excelon x998 Deck
- JL Audio XR650-CSI 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers (In My Doors)
- Crescendo Audio PWX 6.5" Mid Ranges (Right behind my seats)
- (1) Kenwood KAC-9105d Monoblock Amplifier
- (1) Kenwood X450/4, 4 Channel Amplifier
- (2) Kenwood W3013ps 12" Subwoofers
- Amps tuned with O-scope.
- Stinger Roadkill Sound Deadening
- F.A.S.T Rings by Mobile Solutions
- Phoenix Gold and Stinger wiring

wow, i would stop talking to kenwood tech support. Pay attention now.

two single voice coil subs that are 4ohm each wired in parallel is 2ohms.

You can't change that.

edit:

before this gets asked

when wiring in parellel, just divide the ohms of each coil by the number of coils

also, you cannot bridge that amp it is a mono amp, one channel, but has two speaker connectors just for convenience. It's not "internally bridged" either, i see that crap said a lot too. lol

just one channel, two connections for convenience. Just like for what you have, two subs, hook them to each speaker output, 2ohms. Simple.

Okay sounds good. Im glad I finally have gotten all this straightened out. Since your a Gold member and you seem like you know a lot. I am going to set my gains with a multimeter, and do not have an oscilloscope and I'm not going to buy the distortion detector. I have a few questions about this. One, I used the chart that a user posted earlier and determined that 900w at 2 ohms would give me a target voltage of 42.43. That should be my reading on my multimeter correct? Two, when you set with a multimeter how can I get the best, most accurate reading. I heard something about putting a load on it or something? Thanks man !

- 1995 Pontiac Trans Am

- 5.7 LT1 V8

Gold member does not give me any wisdom, just means i spend money on a membership because i hate ads.

You know what the right way to set gains are, so i wont try to convince you to do it the right way.

Setting with a multimeter is just as good as setting by ear if you ask me. You cant use the subs because the load changes when you put power to them.

If you are going to set by ear then just be careful. You don't know where your headunit clips at so make your best guess there, and for the amp gain, just don't use bass boost and be careful with the gain. If your subs are in a port box, and you smell coil, turn it down.

Also, don't expect to blow your doors off with those subs either.

I used to set gains by ear myself, i never smoked an amp or a sub, but maybe i was just lucky.

Okay thanks!

- 1995 Pontiac Trans Am

- 5.7 LT1 V8

Archived