Jump to content

Supertweeters?


Karkov

Recommended Posts

Posted

Can someone please post a video of Super Tweeters playing both up close and at distance, 1 or more or 2 or 4 or 10 I don't care.

Please have the video have ONLY super tweets playing. I am curious as to the application of usage of these (why people use them) and also what they sound like with ONLY them playing......

I posted a picture of what I am talking about, picture is just a reference of what I'm asking to hear. Video does NOT need to contain these exact super tweets. Thanks in advance guys

FT1-001_zps11f4a3ab.png

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Posted

It will be hard to get a real sense of what they are like through a video. It may not even sound all that great. They are a part of a whole. What are you wanting to hear in the video? Most people use supertweeters on account of their incredible sensitivity to keep up with a wall of subs. I have seen a couple sq guys use them as ambiance tweeters crossed over ~8k and up. Due to the sensitivity they have great dynamics and can add a sense of realism to instruments in music. Most of them have to be placed on axis due to their directivity.

Many use a compression driver as a motor but not all. They are similar to the horns I run in my car with the exception of the waveguide. The larger the horn or waveguide the lower they will play.

These are the ones under my dash. See the compression driver?

gfyu016.jpg

Here is a larger supertweeter made using alnico magnets. Waaay awesome..

t500amk2_zpsbccc5f6c.jpg

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Posted

ScottishBear is spot on with them not being impressive over video. You won't get a true sense of what they are doing on vid. I am working on putting 4 in my van right now. I will try to get done today and get a video posted up for you. But- just like ScottishBear said- I am using these for ambiance- for the very high frequencies and am crossing them over as such. I've aimed them as best I can to be on axis as well- firing directly at the ears.

A few random vids I found on YouTube:


What is your application and what do you want them to do for you?

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install


You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Posted

Thanks guys, yea i watched those videos as well. I think either way I am gonna grab some up, I'm thinking 20'ish, sucks they are only 8 ohm though, I can't wire 20 to one amp and get a 1 ohm load per channel.....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Posted

8 - 8 ohm SVC speakers brings a 1 ohm load correct? so to have 1 ohm load per channel of a 2 channel amp that would mean only 16 of these instead of 20 correct? =(

(trying to keep it so all are powered by a single amplifier)

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Posted

What are you using them for? You only need 2 maybe 4 for a setup like yours. They get ridiculously loud on low wattage. Mine are on 30 watts and they kept up with the wall.(4 18") 4 of them will run you out of the car. I could see using 8 if you were building a line array for a home setup but even then... Damn 20 of them is just madness. lol

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Posted

Oh really? damn...

I was thinking a horizontal line across the headliner at the far back upper corner of the Tahoe would scream, 80 RMS each x16 of them....i am being serious.

so not able to sit in it loud? waste of time? money?

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Posted

I would be using them for.....to carry audibly as far as the bass does.....and for people to be like HOLY FUCK THOSE ARE LOUD and do bail outs from super tweets. Idk, just something fun to do. Think I will be adding 4 more 15's to my set up......if i can fit them

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Posted

So you want to open the back hatch and have them playing? 4 of them will be loud on the right wattage. If you want to build something diabolical you could do it but with that many supertweets they will drown out everything. midrange and bass. It seems like you want to build something like this...

You will need to use some pa midranges back there as well. It is possible and has been done before. They don't need a lot of wattage and with 16 you will gain output when you use multiples.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Posted

I don't have a video of just the tweeters. Not sure why you'd want that anyway, it wouldn't tell you much. But here's what mine sound like. No EQing

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1322 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...