dashboard help

Since I am off work this entire week and the weekend I wanted to see if I can get a kick start on building my center part of my dash where the stock radio and hvac controls all are. I have a 10" touchscreen I am going to mount in it along with 2 SMD vu-din's. Currently I have the wires all ran so I can move the HVAC controls to the glovebox and then I will take the radio out for good and just use a carputer for my system.

My question is how do you guys mod your dash and still get it to snap back into place? My center part of the dash has little metal retaining clips all up the sides of it that snap it into the dash and then it has 2 screws at the bottom to secure it in. Should I just mount the touchscreen and the vu-dins on top of the dash bezel or how do I go about doing this? I don't want it to be ugly and stick out a ton and I don't want to see any screws sticking out and I figured that if I were to take the dash bezel and mod it that it would probably lose some of the retaining clips and I didn't want that.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

bump, I know its been done before with dash's like Meades and plenty others out there.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Everyone is different but on the few dashes we did we just built off the stock dash. We cut out a lot of parts but left the clip areas alone, made our own frame around then glass. They never really...stuck out too far.

I'm going to completely redo my entire dash to cut almost everything out and I may not even be able to keep the stock dash at all. I'll be reading up and send you any information that will be useful

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

okay cool. thanks man. I was thinking to build it out too because it wouldn't be that bad but it would be close to where the shift is in the center.

Pics? Chevy were the only think we worked the dashes on, not purposefully...now that I think about it it just worked out that way, lol. Where I cut out I was able to make our frame so that it looked almost flush with the rest of everything else. Not too much stuck out. And on one it did but that's because it lined up with a glassed center console

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

its not mine but its the same style but now its an aftermarket headunit in my truck. Here is what it looks like: http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/50287664.jpg I believe I measured 1.25" from the dash bezel to the shifter or maybe it was 2" idr but it would be close to it if I were to keep it out even with the lcd panel. I was thinking maybe keep the lcd panel out and then somehow make it go in under the lcd where the vu-din's are going because the vu-dins have like no depth to them.

Archived