No Distortion with Gain at full tilt...

If I'm thinking about it right, then the reason it doesn't clip at full gain is cause the head unit output voltage is so low at the 25 that the gain on the amp can never get to the point of matching the headunit output voltage. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but that's what my thinking is.

NO,

Your right.. because, he didnt DO THE FIRST STEP...

Ok, let me just put this out there because my understanding of the DD-1 is clearly not on par with the communities. When I set my system, I followed EVERY direction as closely as possible and ran for 2 years without a hiccup or any heat.

My buddy wanted more bass than I had, because my listening volume was 32/50, but I set it at 47/50, so technically, I could go to 47, but my ears would be pierced by my speakers. In his truck, the sub hits so much harder and is louder when we set the gain by ear. When I grabbed the DD-1, I said to myself: "This device detects distortion. Excellent. We can't listen to this at 47/50, so we will leave the volume on 25, and this should tell us if it's clipping."

My assumption was: If we leave this at 25, when we listen to music, 25 IS THE MAX, and the sub will be playing at it's maximum potential. Is this not the case? Let's say his max without distortion is 47/50. Wouldn't we have to play it at 45 to get close to the MAX? My idea was LOGICAL to me, but apparently I'm missing a critical point. Essentially, we can never hear the sub at it's full potential unless........? we turn the door speakers down at the HU?

but even in the instructions it says that you set amp gain after you know your HU level for distortion.

and it says that in the setting the sub amp directions.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

And the grounds are OKAY i'm pretty sure. I think the amp is roasting because we were clipping the dog shit out of it. User error, but a lack of understanding how it works more importantly. There was no distortion, though. The sub hit deep and hard with no issue.

Also, you can detect the HU for distortion by itself or through the amp same as like the amp.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

but even in the instructions it says that you set amp gain after you know your HU level for distortion.

and it says that in the setting the sub amp directions.

Correct, and I knew that going into this. I just figured if we "made our own" max for the HU that it would pick up distortion at the new level. User error and not knowing how the voltage worked.