Sonic Electronix

Best enclosure type for a SQ build?

To kind of shed some light for you OP, briefly:

A 4th order bandpass has a steeper frequency rolloff, ie potentially less useable bandwidth. A 6th, same story. A typical vented enclosure has about a 12 dB/octave rolloff and a 4th will have a rolloff around 24 db/octave. So you can get some GREAT output in a more narrow bandwidth from using a 4th order bandpass enclosure.

Finding a sub that fits the parameters for a sealed box will provide the most linear flat response, but in theory you can get the extra 3 db benefit from a vented cabinet.

CablGuy(Randal) is very knowledgeable about SQ, therefore listen and take notes. Seriously, write it down and commit it to memory. He has a lovely isobaric setup that I've heard does a marvelous job at reproducing sound with deadly accuracy and clarity. I hope to sit in his truck one day with to soak it in.

Vented enclosures can give you great range if designed well and built properly. Having good cone control and an enclosure that can perform IN the vehicle is very important.

Since when do 4th order bandpass enclosures have a 24db roll off? You got your info backwards. 4th order bandpass enclosures have a 12db roll off (hence why you can usually play/load lower end freqs and still be tuned at 45-50hz) and typical ported enclosures or 4th order bass reflex enclosures have 24db roll offs.
TFade straightened it out already :)

-Edit Sorry I got it backwards. It's all so fresh from that damn Loudspeaker Cookbook my brain goes through a melting period sometimes :(

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Sa 8's on 2k doesn't sound like sound quality to me lol

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Audison Bit One processor

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

Second Skin sound deadened

20130828_193729_zpsd2fb3220.jpg

Here is my car as of now with the sundown sa12s (just for a little bass). There is a little space in the back that i want them to fit into. I will get some dimensions up later on today.

No see ... A pic can tell alot !!! With this application and what you are trying to accomplish ... I would use those 12s infinite baffle ...

get rid of the box, make you a baffle on the back wall and seal off the trunk, throw back on your amp and there you go ...

No need to purchse any other drivers ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

20130828_193729_zpsd2fb3220.jpg

Here is my car as of now with the sundown sa12s (just for a little bass). There is a little space in the back that i want them to fit into. I will get some dimensions up later on today.

No see ... A pic can tell alot !!! With this application and what you are trying to accomplish ... I would use those 12s infinite baffle ...

get rid of the box, make you a baffle on the back wall and seal off the trunk, throw back on your amp and there you go ...

No need to purchse any other drivers ...

I really want some 8's.. could i do that with some 8's? and if so how much power should i get them?

I really want some 8's.. could i do that with some 8's? and if so how much power should i get them?

Any enclosure you build will not be much smaller than what you have now ... and if you go infinite baffle, power is not the issue ... more cone area will be the biggest factor ... just saying

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

Any enclosure you build will not be much smaller than what you have now ... and if you go infinite baffle, power is not the issue ... more cone area will be the biggest factor ... just saying

So you think the 12s are a much better choice?

Not my brand of choice (primarily cause I am sponsored by Linear Power / Blues Car Audio) ... but yes, I would stick with nothing smaller than a pair of 12" drivers for a infinite baffle setup ...

absolutely ...

Archived