Infinite baffle subwoofer experiences! HELP

TeamHirshAudio

Ahhh... infinite baffle.

Really... ANY sub will work IB. Just that some are better than others. Biggest thing is probably a high Qts driver. LIke at least .5. A healthy xmax is also a good thing if you value output since IB ouput is limited solely by the subs' stroke. People will tell you that a low Fs is of ultimate importance, but I can't say that I agree there. Unless your trunk is sealed up tight as a drum and tiny.

The subs I have in there now (Tantric MD15's) have a .511 "at rest" Qts and with the trunk closed, it raises that alignment to .6. Which... is just about perfect for my taste. Their Fs is relatlively high for a 15" but it digs to 24hz with zero problems.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Fi IB3. But the biggest thing is... you don't HAVE to have a sub that's advertised as an "infinite baffle sub" for it to work as long as you know what to look for.

The Dayton audio IB's are great subs. I use 3 18" Dcs-450's. They are fast, accurate, and very musical. A couple other brands to look at are the jbl MKII, image dynamics 15" and the incriminator Audio Flatlyne series. Also if you are on a budget and want a great IB I would recommend the Pyle blue wave. If you can stomach the look of them they are outstanding IB subs. If you go the IB route make sure to well deaden your rear deck and trunk lid. I would go with a minimum of 1 1/2" baffle and bolt it directly into the car. Mine is 2 1/4" thick and I added a couple 2x's and about 10 lbs. of modeling clay, and fiberglass to mine to make it more rigid and deaden the fuck out of it. Here is a pic of the the subs from the trunk. (I know the bolt holes aren't symmetrical. No fucks given. haha

You REALLY need to bring this car down to World Finals in Huntsville, Al this October and let me demo this ride !!!

I'd love to but money is tighter than usual this summer. I haven't been able to make it to any local shows let alone a distance. It's been bumming me out. I want to take it down south next summer for sure. As it stands only 3 people have even heard the car as it is setup right now. It would be nice to get a little validation or feedback so I know I am not deluding myself. A video of it playing only tells so much.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived