Second Skin Audio

CleanSierra's build log Fosgate Regular cab!!!

CleanSierra

Let me know, I'm down. I relaxed most of my weekend too except for getting everything installed back in the truck. I'm needing to get rid of my whine so I'm gonna pull the HU and EQ and check the grounds going in and I'm likely going to relocate to a place I know is solid. Nothing truly sounds super quality right now with that damned whine. When I get time, I'll track it down

As far as getting your build going, I'm down whenever :)

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Nice vid man.

About your alt whine, if I may (take it with a grain of salt if you wish) I wouldn't mess with your deck or EQ unless something has really changed in that area.

You didn't have whine before, now you do, so look at what changed.

Is it possible to re route your speaker wire and RCA coming out of the amp so they aren't bunched with the power wire?

Just my thoughts, I know you are more than capable of locating and fixing the issue.

Dude, thank you for the suggestion. I may just cut another hole in the other side for the speaker wires. The only thing that changed though, besides having ALL wires bunched up through one hole, was that I routed the RCAs down the transmission hump. I ran them down the passenger side before.

So, I changed the ground behind the dash to no avail. The whine is lessened quite a bit, but it's still slightly there. I think relocating where I've got the RCAs and other wires(keeping them separate) will be my real fix. It never had an issue before, so I'm going to go back to how it was( like Rockford Expedition's suggestion). I had planned to get new Mezzos, but there is no point until I get this alt whine taken care of.

Weird side effect from changing the ground, the sub is hitting ridiculously. Like no joke, WAY louder. I did pull the sub while I was fiddling with the HU and ground issue to make sure the box was secured to the back of the cab still. Maybe I have a better seal now? Who knows, I'm happy with it though.

What kind of alignment to you have with the RCA's and other wires.

Just because they are close together doesn't mean much as look at how many other wires the power and RCA's go by.

It could be that they are just exactly parallel to each other for a little too long.

Try wrapping the RCA's around the wire, get a 90o angle between them and power, magnetic forces just act weird.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

All wires, power, grounds, RCA, and remotes, plus speaker wire, all come up through a hole a cut in the bottom of the boxed in amp area. Maybe I'll get a pics bit they're ALL together for right there, and that's pretty much it. They don't run parallel for long together, just that junction. I AM going to do another hole on the other side to separate RCAs and speaker wire from my power and ground wires. It's frustrating because I've never had noise issues before. I'll try relocating and then I'm gonna start replacing piece by piece, starting with a different HU. Thank you for your help Krakin, it helps getting these opinions.

Before drilling a new hole, run your RCA's back behind the glove box. there is just barely enough room to fit you arm in there to grab the cables and loop them around the passenger seat.

If they aren't long enough just cut right through the middle of the cab, after all you are just testing them.

This way you don't have to make another permanent change to your truck, that could alter who knows what who knows how.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

I do have the RCAs snaked back that way and then I ran them down the passenger side transmission hump. Before I had the noise, I had them run with the speaker wire down the door sill under that little trim panel and then I ran them at basically a 90 degree angle over to the amps. This time I didn't go over to the sill, just down the tranny hump and over to the amps. All the wires are bottlenecked at that hole though. I'll try re doing the RCAs before cutting another hole.

Also remember that the speaker wires have a much higher voltage then the 12 volts that power wires carry.

This is going to make me go study magnetic waves now... Thanks for giving me something to do tonight.

Also a common ground should help a lot.

In home audio I get quite a bit of "ground noise" when my source and amplifier are not using the same grounding point.

Archived