Band-Pass or High-Pass?

rockFord_Expedition

When running pro audio mids in your doors (no particular model, just generally speaking) is it necessary to band pass them, or is high pass ok? I know they have a limited frequency response, but didn't know what is the best way to go and why?

Definitely bandpass

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

So if we are talking about a 6" mid that has a freq response of 85Hz - 5khz and I high pass it at about 90hz. If the driver wont "respond" to anything above 5k, how will the sound be affected when signal of 5khz and up is sent to it?

Not being argumentative, just trying to gain some knowledge fellas.

So if we are talking about a 6" mid that has a freq response of 85Hz - 5khz and I high pass it at about 90hz. If the driver wont "respond" to anything above 5k, how will the sound be affected when signal of 5khz and up is sent to it?

Not being argumentative, just trying to gain some knowledge fellas.

The speaker will play it's full range without a crossover to it's natural roll off. There are some speakers that can play their full range and still sound good but not all are capable. The speakers in my doors are a great example. I use a 12" full range with only a high pass of 120hz. They play all the way to 8k. They can do this since they have a whizzer cone for added high freq. response and there is an sharp rolloff at 8k. Even though a speaker has a certain freq. response it still plays other freq. just at a lower volume. Depending on the driver it may play 4000hz at 92db but fall to 84 at 5000hz, and 70 at 6000 hz and so on. This is true for both sides of the freq. spectrum. We use particular slopes with degrees (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) to achieve a certain freq. response. Before i buy any driver I look at the freq. response graph to see if the driver has any large peaks or dips in response. This can tell you where the driver is best used as far as freq whether it be lo, high, or bandpass. It can be advantageous depending on driver and what you are looking to do with them but that is a whole other thread.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

I like what ^he said, it makes good sense. The speaker will drop off eventually after a certain frequency, but you've got to remember that it'll still play those frequencies, just at a lower volume. But since you're amplifying the volume it'll definitely be noticeable and shrill from my experience. Really depends on the install though I suppose, I didn't take as much time with mine as I could have

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Archived