SnowDrifter Posted September 9, 2013 Report Posted September 9, 2013 So we all know it sounds like a wet fart on video. But I'm wondering.... Is it damaging to the microphone over time? Like having my phone in my pocket or something if I'm bumping on the way to school. ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
Wicks Posted September 9, 2013 Report Posted September 9, 2013 I'm sure it can't be too good for a sensitive little diaphragm like that although you don't really hear too many stories about it. I do have a sound activated LED controller that I had mounted in my trunk. After a month of use it started acting very flaky and hyper sensitive. I'm guessing it was from the pressure... Curious to hear other input. This post sent with 100% recycled electrons. 2004 BMW M3Mechman 280A 2 - XS Power XP30001 - XS Power D375 500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F) iPadMini2Dash mounted O-scopeAudison bitOne (Remote DRC MP) Highs Amp - PPI Art A404 Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...) DC Audio DC9.0K 2- DC Audio XL12m2LEGAL - 147.3dB @ 41Hz OUTLAW - 150.2dB @ 45Hz OUTLAW - 145.7dB @ 30Hz JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER 2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER SOTM BUILD:http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026
Ballen194 Posted September 9, 2013 Report Posted September 9, 2013 out of my research when it comes to a mic it will distort at high db's. but its not the sound that hurts a mic, its the high spl or a burst of air into it. like lets say your filming steves Tahoe and getting a demo in the front seat. your mic will surely distort but will not damage it. now you walk to the back and put your mic in the port. good possibility you will damage it. microphones these days can handle a lot. 98 Isuzu Rodeo Pioneer Deh-6300ub SUBS*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order AMP Banda 3500 Mids/Highs Pioneer EQ Clarion EQS746 ETC. Two 1/0 run's KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3 Shuriken BT-100 under the hood Shuriken BT-120 in the back
Guest Posted September 10, 2013 Report Posted September 10, 2013 i fucked up my galaxy s3's mics from recording too many videos of 155-160 cars LOL. my stock 14 year old speakers in my car can make my mics distort like crazy now.
k3n12ock Posted September 10, 2013 Report Posted September 10, 2013 Quality on my S3 isn't that good either. My iphone 4 was pretty decent though. Few years ago I had the Kodak zi6 and bass definitely fucked up the mic. Mad it sound like ass. 05 xB - (2) EVIL 18s - (2) BC3500s - NO WALL Channel 1: http://www.youtube.com/k3n12ock Channel 2: http://www.youtube.com/MrK3n12ock2
TheMonolith2001 Posted September 12, 2013 Report Posted September 12, 2013 I'm sure it can't be too good for a sensitive little diaphragm like that although you don't really hear too many stories about it. I do have a sound activated LED controller that I had mounted in my trunk. After a month of use it started acting very flaky and hyper sensitive. I'm guessing it was from the pressure... Curious to hear other input. The way these work is a little different. There is basically a piece of wire that completes the circuit to turn the light on when it moves enough to touch the side. Eventually it flexes easier from being moved back and forth so many times. At this point it's basically broken in and shouldn't get worse. You should have a sensitivity adjustment knob you can use to adjust for it. Loud sound CAN damage a microphone, but it would have to be a pretty low quality microphone, or so crazy loud that you would be screwing up your ears pretty bad as well. It probably has more to do with the microphone slapping against the casing than the sound itself. Think about this, did you know you can use earbuds as a microphone? The speaker is so small that sound around it can move it! Now think about how much more it is actually moving when you are playing music through it - and it still works as a microphone afterwards!
SnowDrifter Posted September 12, 2013 Author Report Posted September 12, 2013 It's funny that you mentioned using headphones as a mic. I actually did that some time ago. Turned out pretty good If anyone has a phone like it: I just got a lumia 920 the other day. Trying to keep it nice since it's the first phone I've got that has a microphone that sounds more like how it should vs. the "oh I recorded it with my phone" sound. If it really is harmful, I'll probably build a small sealed box for the thing to hold it when I'm bumping ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.