Second Skin Audio

Need help making the most out of a small space

Will757

Ive got a 87 Toyota extra cab pickup, and its time for me to get back into the car audio game. its been 2-3 years since i even built a system.

The max space I'm gonna be able to get behind the seats is just short of 4 cubes. thats already accounting for the volume of the box itself. (not including port volume). Im not entirely sure how I would do a trapezoidal shape, but that would free up a little more space, as my seats are at an angle. Im 6'4", so moving my seats up isnt an option in this truck.

I honestly have no idea what my best route here is. So many new products have come out since my last system build. I was thinking 4 8's, 2 10's, MAYBE 2 12's, or possibly even a 15. I know some subs are better suited to smaller enclosures than others, so any insight on that would be great too.

Im also torn between whether to go with a sealed design, or sacrifice some box space and go ported. Ive never done a setup where space was much of an issue, so this is new to me.

1996 Buick Lesabre Limited - 2 Fi Q 12's, 5ft^3 slot ported box tuned to 30hz, MMATS 3000.1, JL G4500, 5.25" Polk momo comps, cheap 6x9's (rear fill), Pioneer DEH-P8300UB, Knu wiring throughout, Big 3 all 1/0, stock alt, stock batt, Deka 8a31 in the trunk

---Now gone to the younger brother, and all the equipment is sitting in my garage.

96 Buick Lesabre Build Log

4 8s would get you the most cone srea I believe

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

4 8s would have 201.06

2 10s would have 157.08

2 12s would have 226.19

One 15 would be 176.71

Square inches of cone

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Thsts what happens when you dk the math jn your head. I think 4 cubes ported woukd be a stretch for 2 12s personally. I dont really csre for aeros but it might help ya

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Grab your sawsall and get to cutting! I see a crawl through in your future!

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS FEAR Measure twice, cut once

JVC touchscreen HU Mmats E600.4

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

2 12's would have to be sealed. That 4 cubes is not including port volume. I has 2 12's in 5 cubes ported in my Buick and that was about perfect. I do like the idea of 4 8's though. I've never had any experience with them, so how much space would I need per sub?

If this truck was a 2wd I'd be heavily considering a crawl through, or at least a blow through box design, but it's a 4x4 and the rusted bed is probably turning into a custom flatbed in the next year or 2

1996 Buick Lesabre Limited - 2 Fi Q 12's, 5ft^3 slot ported box tuned to 30hz, MMATS 3000.1, JL G4500, 5.25" Polk momo comps, cheap 6x9's (rear fill), Pioneer DEH-P8300UB, Knu wiring throughout, Big 3 all 1/0, stock alt, stock batt, Deka 8a31 in the trunk

---Now gone to the younger brother, and all the equipment is sitting in my garage.

I think I'm set on a quad 8" setup. They don't need much space, it would be responsive since I listen to a lot of metal, and it would still have the come area to move some air on the low lows.

I want to go with a ported setup, but I'm not sure how I should orient the directions of everything. Should I have everything facing up, or everything facing forward, or maybe top facing subs with a side or forward facing port, front facing subs with a top/side port, etc.

Archived