Dual Alt Setup Need Big 3 Help

I have a question about installing a second "stand alone" alternator/charging system like this, if you dont mind the slight thread jack OP.

Is there a benefit, or is it required, to run a ground wire from the front batt to the rear?

Its piece of mind to some. I see it as completing the charging circuit for all involved batteries. Can't really have too many grounds.

@OP - I'd do big 3 on both just for ease of mind, never know down the road you might switch that alt out. Besides your doing all the grounds big 3 wise for the second alt, might as well add in the positive for the stock system. Don't forget the pcm loop though. Overkills better than being short somewhere

• 2 weeks later...

Could always have the highs run from the stock (plus big 3) side of things then the second alt would soley be for BIG BASSSSSSSSSS

I have a 370 PCM controlled alt but am gonna get a second alt just for the bass with an external regulator and I plan on having all highs/mids run from the original electrical (with upgraded alt and wire) then the second alt that will be charging at a high voltage with ONLY be for Bass!!

$.02

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Could always have the highs run from the stock (plus big 3) side of things then the second alt would soley be for BIG BASSSSSSSSSS

I have a 370 PCM controlled alt but am gonna get a second alt just for the bass with an external regulator and I plan on having all highs/mids run from the original electrical (with upgraded alt and wire) then the second alt that will be charging at a high voltage with ONLY be for Bass!!

$.02

Now that's not a bad idea!

I have a question about installing a second "stand alone" alternator/charging system like this, if you dont mind the slight thread jack OP.

Is there a benefit, or is it required, to run a ground wire from the front batt to the rear?

No benefit. It's been proven that grounding to the frame is better than a front to back ground run. Look it up on here, Tony and Tony put together a nice video.

Archived