Second Skin Audio

JL 10w6's or Infinity Kappa 12.1's on a 500/1 *pictures*

Brian Owens

Looking for a bit of advice. I am currently running 2 12" w1v2's in a sealed 2.5cf box in the trunk of my 94' Accord sedan. I am impressed with the sound output and quality for a couple of low-end subs. Over the last couple months I've picked up a set of BNIB 10w6's (original) and BNIB Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1's. With the power I have available what would be the best setup, I'm thinking that the 10w6's might be under powered but have been told that they'll do well in a 1.6cf sealed enclosure with the 500/1 (roughly 600 rms). With the Perfects I would probably be building a 2.2cf enclosure, using a bit of poly fill as I it is recommended by Infinity in their manual.

What I'm after is better sound quality with better output. I know that without increasing power that I shouldn't expect increased output, but after setting the gains on the 500/1 with a 60hz test tone and having to reduce the gain to roughly 60% of the correct gain setting in order not to overpower the 12w1v2's I am thinking that the amp has a lot more to give. Any help, suggestions are much appreciated and any info from past setups with either sub with similar available power would help out.

Thanks,

Brian

Dimensions of usable trunk space is 31.5" wide 15" high. Depth would not really be an issue as a new box would be smaller than my current one. I would also like to stay with a sealed enclosure.

5hsg.jpg

d4w1.jpg
uvgo.jpg

I bought the sub's with a sealed box in mind. I've only built 1 ported box and would like to keep things simple (don't have to worry about tuning, port noise etc.) Also I'm almost happy with the output from my current set up 12w1v2's. Just doesn't really hit the lows with much authority. I've heard the w6's in other setups and know they'll sound good sealed. The kapps's I only know what I've read on forums such a diy smd and caraudio.com. People seem to like them in a proper enclosure whether its sealed or ported. I wouldn't mind building a box for both sets and listening to them back to back, but I'll be selling the set I don't use and would want to keep them as BNIB.

I'm mainly looking for real world experience with either of these sub's with roughly the same amount of power I have available. Somebody must have heard an old setup like this on 500-700rms. I've personally heard a single 12w6 on 400 RMS and thought it did extremely well. Hit very hard and got loud for 1 12. That was in a hatchback though. I've also listened to 3 10w6's in a sealed box in a single cab b2200 with 1500 RMS. Amazing for 15 years ago lol. I haven't heard a trunk install with either the Kappa Perfects or w6's. Never actually have heard the Perfects in any setup.

Buddy of mine ran a 12" Perfect in a single cab s-10 back in the day and it was very clean and sound quality was great. He ran a Bd1000 to the single sub and it got loud. He ran sealed with like 1.0-1.2 cubes if I remember correctly. I doubt you'll notice much difference between the subs you have selected since amp power isn't changing.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

No vs threads please

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived