Hello,

I’m attempting to build my third budget subwoofer box.

History

My first subwoofer 'front firing dual speaker' and second subwoofer 'dual down firing speaker' box I designed myself not using a box calculator were built using speakers I got for free. Not an expensive build. This time it will be, for me. Student.

I’ll be using:

~2 Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6-1/2"- Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXcV-E3M2NU

Notice the big excursion. He mentioned that, “it almost displaces air like an 8” subwoofer.” And I’m using two of it. They sell the same sized speaker with two types of magnets, neodymium or ferrite. I’ll be buying the ferrite magnet. The reason is the price $$$

The Ferrite each cost $48.32 and the Neodymium each cost $91.89. Same watts. But the Ferrite has Resonant Frequency of 35Hz while the Neodymium is 38Hz.

~Amplifier is Dayton Audio SA100 100W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier for $77.00

I’ll be using a half inch plywood.

This is expensive for me. I need a box that gets the most out of these speakers. The box sets that. I don’t know how to correctly design a box. This is why I need your help.

The set up is a dual down firing rear side vent-port. Tuned at between 30Hz to 34Hz. I’m looking for the loud deep thunderous bass like at the movie theater. You guys can make my dollar go further with the right design for this tune. I’m building this to send over seas to my relatives. Keep in mind that is in a shippable size. If it you think it can’t be, tell me. note it can be shipped disassembled to fit in a 3ft x 3ft x 3ft box or bigger.

They are not exposed to sound quality over there. They have not experience the things I’m experiencing I’m America. I want to share it with this.

Going back to History I told you that I have made a Down Firing Dual Subwoofer. It sucked, it can’t play the low frequencies. Though it plays the high bass loudly. Not enough excursion.

Thank you for taking the time to reading this, looking forward for your help.

Welcome to SMD ... Is this for home audio use ???

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I have 2 of these woofers, only mine are the 5.25" Neos. Yes, they do have tons of excursion- but they don't get crazy loud. Loud enough, yes. But thunderous.... not so much. I like the sound of mine as the woofer in a solid 3 way setup (woofer / mid / tweeter), but for the low end a proper sub-woofer is needed IMHO.

That being said- you want it for home use like Cableguy said? Your write up said dual down firing rear vented port- that will help on the lower end of the tune.

I threw the numbers in BassBox Pro and a 1.5 cubic foot box (without subs, ports, or displacements) that has a port with 15 Square Inches of surface area that is 20" long will give you a tune of 33hz. That box also is almost perfectly flat down to 33 hz (just a slight bump at 40). After 33hz it falls off, but otherwise BBP projects it to have a flat response. ...now, depending on the environment you put it in though- things may sound much different.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Archived