how many batteries do i need?

put a adapter from 1/0 to 4. if you do use different bats (wet and gel) you can use a solenoid to separate the bats when the car is off. this will help with the longevity of your OEM battery.

King dingalingIts not finished till i say so Bit@^!

No. Don't do that. (a solenoid? )

If you add a second bat, like Ed mentioned. Make them the same chem wise.

I would however, run the 1/0 to the amp, then using a reducer, step it down to the acceptable 4g

Toolmaker or Project Db can help you there.

its ben a bit since I looked for one. I think stinger had some at one point. I also think you can find some on e-bay

i would just do it right and buy a big battery for under the hood with your h/o alt. if you call mechman and ask him he should tell you 240 alt and more than likely a xtra battery also, he quoted me a 240 amp for my 3k watt system and told me i should also get a xtra battery for voltage drops, i think he sells xs batteries also

i mean there is nothin wrong with using a solenoid for different batteries but i would rather use 2 of the same batteries so there is no chance of problems.

1. how many batteries do I need? im running a soundstream ta1 3000d at 1 ohm it does 2500w I have a 240 amp alt from mechman. I have a standard battery up front and I would like to keep it because I just bought it, I also have 1/0 ga wire the only electrical my car has is an electric fan and lights tail lights turn signals ect.

Your 2500W of output would require roughly 3500W of power supply from the batts. Batteries of the 65 amp hour rating or higher can usually accomplish this.

Check the rating of your current batt and upgrade from there.

If your current batt is a wet cell, be careful when adding a 2nd batt to it as different chemistry batts reduce life when mixed together.

Swapping your current batt for a larger batt that can supply over 3500W may be the best option.

With your sized alt, Id say that you can go up to about 240 amp hours worth of batteries.

So thats your range, 65-240 aH.

Don't take this question as me doubting you (I am not). I really want to know.

Why would he "top out" at 240ah with that alternator? Is there an equation or calculation for this? I have an 80a alternator stock does that mean I should stick with 80ah or less worth of batteries? I am only asking because I have seen guys with single alternators in the 250-300a range using between 10+ large batteries that have to be way more than 300ah total. Thanks for any knowledge shared.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

i would just do it right and buy a big battery for under the hood with your h/o alt. if you call mechman and ask him he should tell you 240 alt and more than likely a xtra battery also, he quoted me a 240 amp for my 3k watt system and told me i should also get a xtra battery for voltage drops, i think he sells xs batteries also

i mean there is nothin wrong with using a solenoid for different batteries but i would rather use 2 of the same batteries so there is no chance of problems.

If you can... please explain what issues the OP may have if he is using a solenoid. This way the OP has a idea why not to use one.

Why should he even use one? The more and more I read from you, the less comfortable I feel you giving anyone advice.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Why should he even use one? The more and more I read from you, the less comfortable I feel you giving anyone advice.

You should read the OP first post. Then read on....

THE MORE AND MORE YOU POST AND DONT READ THE MORE I FEEL YOU SHOULD NOT POST UNLESS YOU READ.

STOP STALKING ME AND READ THE WHOLE PAGE.

Archived