Second Skin Audio

suggestions on subs and box

Reed Farrar

this might sound stupid but i built this L7 box for my brothers L7 a couple months ago and the sub blew before we really got to play much. but the tuning and box size seems to be the same as two x12s or x10s. i dont think the 12s would fit but i know the 10s would. if i was to use this box i would have to cut the baffle and make another baffle. not to much work if it would work. any suggestions?

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 32 Hz
Vb = 4.5 ft^3

External Height = 17 in
External Width = 31.5 in
External Depth = 24 in

Port Width = 3 3/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

Front = 27 x 15 1/2
Front Internal = 25 1/2 x 15 1/2
Back = 31 1/2 x 15 1/2

Left & Right Sides:
Side 1 = 22 1/2 x 15 1/2
Side 2 = 23 1/4 x 15 1/2

Top & Bottom = 31 1/2 x 24

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 18 3/4 x 15 1/2
Extension = 2 x 15 1/2

Assembly guide:

L715SFPF.jpg

If you want sound quality go with a t-line and use two x-10s. Not that larger subs can't sound good but because of the space you have available.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

A T- line would be pretty large. Quarter wave on that sub(since Fs is typically tuning preference with a T-line) would be 10.1 ft. Applying power always needs to be watched too since you can get a sub out of mechanical control with too much power because of lack of back pressure. We are talking about a 1500W sub here, not some small 8" or less expensive low power handling sub that we are trying to get the most out of.

I would consider 2 10s or 12s, like I said before, depending on what you can for a proper sized enclosure for. A 4th order bandpass would be my suggestion before recommending a transmission line enclosure.

P.S. No offense Bbel, your suggestions are always good and have a reason behind them

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

If you want sound quality go with a t-line and use two x-10s. Not that larger subs can't sound good but because of the space you have available.

i just wish i could find a design. i thought about making a t-line for my e8v3 a while back but never did it. i like t-lines but i never completely understood what makes them sound that good. is it cause the port is so long?

A T- line would be pretty large. Quarter wave on that sub(since Fs is typically tuning preference with a T-line) would be 10.1 ft. Applying power always needs to be watched too since you can get a sub out of mechanical control with too much power because of lack of back pressure. We are talking about a 1500W sub here, not some small 8" or less expensive low power handling sub that we are trying to get the most out of.

I would consider 2 10s or 12s, like I said before, depending on what you can for a proper sized enclosure for. A 4th order bandpass would be my suggestion before recommending a transmission line enclosure.

Ya i have only seen t lines with like 8s and maybe 10s. and it seems like everybody now a days are making 4th orders. I would like to do that but i dont think i would have enough space. do you think x10s would sound good in that kicker box if i redid the baffle? im sure its not the best box for it. so ill prob build a new one anyway cause i want everything perfect the first time. just want an opinion on that cause its a perfect box just being used as a table right now lmao

i just wish i could find a design. i thought about making a t-line for my e8v3 a while back but never did it. i like t-lines but i never completely understood what makes them sound that good. is it cause the port is so long?

Well, there isn't really a port in a t-line because there is really no box for a port to go into. The entire box is the port, as it were, so there is no acoustical suspension to speak of and the line length is dependant (normally) on the driver's Fs.

As far as designing them goes, a ¼ wave t-line is the easiest box you can design, from a calculations perspective but the hardest to design from a "fitting it in that space" perspective. The reason being that you essentially have to stuff an eight or nine foot long tube into a small space.

Here is a tutorial on ¼ wave t-lines... here is a thread I made on a couple I've built and here are a few videos of one of them doing work. I've since ripped out the back seat and am now running two Zv3 15s in a line on ~2800 watts and it sounds fantastic. I listen to a lot of rock music also and there is plenty of tight, fast upper sub bass response from them as well as cabin shaking lows. I'll try to get a video of the new one today, although it is far from being finished.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Archived