Second Skin Audio

suggestions on subs and box

Reed Farrar

damn you have some nice boxes. i kinda just wanna stick with the regular L ported box cause those things need alot of space and i dont think i could fit a t-line. or maybe a aero port but i have never built a aero ported box. whats your opinion on that? on most videos i have seen there using aero ports so idk. so many choices hah

Thank You.

All of the drivers you've mentioned have an Fs in the thirties, so a t-line would be short (about 8') for them. Also, the line area is dependent on the Sd of the driver so two tens wouldn't make for a lot of line area. In fact, one 12 would make for even less line area and with the space you've mentioned, I see no problems with fitting.

But as far as ports go, aeros definitely perform well and keep the port noise to a minimum. But then, a correctly sized kerfed port will too. Only thing I wouldn't recommend for a high powered box would be PVC... simply because of the blunt ends.

In the end and from the perspective of audible distortion (port noise) a properly sized kerfed port will sound and perform just as good as an aero port. The only benefit to aeros is that you can change tuning a lot easier.

i would love to make a kerf box cause i love the way they look and they let the air flow better. but no matter i know i can build a t-line but i just have no idea how to make a design. do you design all your boxes? seems like you know alot about this stuff

If you can make a ported box, you can make a t-line. Designing one is no different than designing a port that has a 180° in it, so if you can do that math, you can design a t-line.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

damn you have some nice boxes. i kinda just wanna stick with the regular L ported box cause those things need alot of space and i dont think i could fit a t-line. or maybe a aero port but i have never built a aero ported box. whats your opinion on that? on most videos i have seen there using aero ports so idk. so many choices hah

Thank You.

All of the drivers you've mentioned have an Fs in the thirties, so a t-line would be short (about 8') for them. Also, the line area is dependent on the Sd of the driver so two tens wouldn't make for a lot of line area. In fact, one 12 would make for even less line area and with the space you've mentioned, I see no problems with fitting.

But as far as ports go, aeros definitely perform well and keep the port noise to a minimum. But then, a correctly sized kerfed port will too. Only thing I wouldn't recommend for a high powered box would be PVC... simply because of the blunt ends.

In the end and from the perspective of audible distortion (port noise) a properly sized kerfed port will sound and perform just as good as an aero port. The only benefit to aeros is that you can change tuning a lot easier.

i would love to make a kerf box cause i love the way they look and they let the air flow better. but no matter i know i can build a t-line but i just have no idea how to make a design. do you design all your boxes? seems like you know alot about this stuff

If you can make a ported box, you can make a t-line. Designing one is no different than designing a port that has a 180° in it, so if you can do that math, you can design a t-line.

i just always get designs from online lol. i only built a couple boxes and they were specific box designs. i tried using torres before but it was pretty confusing

so do you think i should go with aero or L port? does the kerf make the port noise less? and if i made a L port i would deff need 45s right?

Do a T-line if you have the space, that will sound the best and have the most output.

If you do a ported enclosure then I would go with aero-ports.

Kerf ports do the same thing as flaring aero-ports. But the efficiency will not be on par with an aero-port. As efficiency becomes better the close you get to a 1:1 ratio of height to width, and an aero-port has a below 1 ratio.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

so do you think i should go with aero or L port? does the kerf make the port noise less? and if i made a L port i would deff need 45s right?

Do a T-line if you have the space, that will sound the best and have the most output.

If you do a ported enclosure then I would go with aero-ports.

Kerf ports do the same thing as flaring aero-ports. But the efficiency will not be on par with an aero-port. As efficiency becomes better the close you get to a 1:1 ratio of height to width, and an aero-port has a below 1 ratio.

thanks for the input man. now i just need to go about making a t-line hah.

i just always get designs from online lol. i only built a couple boxes and they were specific box designs. i tried using torres before but it was pretty confusing

Well, all I can say is... everything I know how to do today was once something I had never done before, then it was something I wasn't too good at and then it became something I am good at. Well... with a few exceptions. :-)

But seriously, once you've designed your own box, built and installed it... you will be incredibly happy, even if it doesn't sound terrific. And frankly, t-lines are not as complicated and no where near as fickle as ported alignments so your margin of error is wider. And to be sure, sound quality and overall impact are far better from a t-line, save those instances where you need a burp box. Although, I would hazard a guess that a t-line burp box would be a monster loud setup, so I may be wrong about that last part.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Archived