Shigshwa Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 I'm building a box for a friend, and he listens to a lot of hip hop. He says he doesn't want the bass to be too peaky, he wants extension into the low end, but a flat response. He will seldom, if ever, play this sub at full tilt. The lowest frequencies that his music reaches would be 35 hz, I'm guessing. I'm thinking of a 1.9 cu ft box for the 12 in sub, tuned to 29 hz. When I model this setup into winisd though... The response curve is very strange. It will peak at 50 hz, then slowly roll off, then at about 25 hz, will quickly roll off. Apparently, the optimum setup for this is a 7 cu ft box tuned to 23 hz for flat response, which seems practically like free air at this point. Is this an example of a sub that winisd can't model? And... Do you think this tuning is too low for the application? He does not intend to really bump his system at any considerable volume. Do you think I should just tune this to 33-35 and then let him use the bass knob to control the volume?
john253a Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 first box need to out of 3/4" 1/2 wont cut it try tuning the sub higher, that subs more suited for sealed, (yes can go ported but again more suited for sealed) so youll need to tune it higher, for that sub idd recommend 40-45hz @ 1.8net how much power does he have? does he have sub already? as for what he wants it is not the best chose however space permitting a t-line would do for that sub would make it do what he needs
CleanSierra Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 I would choose to go sealed with that sub. The reason it won't model is that the T/S specs heavily prefer a sealed cabinet. That's why it's suggesting such a large enclosure. Try a sealed enclosure and see where it models. A sealed box WILL give the flattest response. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Shigshwa Posted October 6, 2013 Author Report Posted October 6, 2013 I see. Well, he's gonna run 250w into the 250w sub. I don't think I need the response completely flat, just a response that does not have a huge peak. I'm looking at a P1S2 12 and modeling it, and this one seems to prefer sealed as well. I'm modeling it in the current box, in a sealed box, and I put my SP4 box to show what he doesn't want it to be. The sealed box looks pretty flat, and the ported looks acceptable. Is this strange response of the ported box any cause of concern?
rockFord_Expedition Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 I'm building a box for a friend, and he listens to a lot of hip hop. He says he doesn't want the bass to be too peaky, he wants extension into the low end, but a flat response. He will seldom, if ever, play this sub at full tilt. The lowest frequencies that his music reaches would be 35 hz, I'm guessing. I'm thinking of a 1.9 cu ft box for the 12 in sub, tuned to 29 hz. When I model this setup into winisd though... The response curve is very strange. It will peak at 50 hz, then slowly roll off, then at about 25 hz, will quickly roll off. Apparently, the optimum setup for this is a 7 cu ft box tuned to 23 hz for flat response, which seems practically like free air at this point. Is this an example of a sub that winisd can't model? And... Do you think this tuning is too low for the application? He does not intend to really bump his system at any considerable volume. Do you think I should just tune this to 33-35 and then let him use the bass knob to control the volume? Just wanted to chime in on this piece. It's not good advice to tell someone to use bass boost as a volume knob. To the ear sometimes the boost may seem to have an affect like a volume knob, but it is most certainly not, and in an incorrectly tuned system the bass knob can spell disaster for your sub. Based on your friends said preferences, and the sub that is being used, I would go sealed and give it plenty of power even though he wont be listening to it loud. Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
Shigshwa Posted October 6, 2013 Author Report Posted October 6, 2013 I'm building a box for a friend, and he listens to a lot of hip hop. He says he doesn't want the bass to be too peaky, he wants extension into the low end, but a flat response. He will seldom, if ever, play this sub at full tilt. The lowest frequencies that his music reaches would be 35 hz, I'm guessing. I'm thinking of a 1.9 cu ft box for the 12 in sub, tuned to 29 hz. When I model this setup into winisd though... The response curve is very strange. It will peak at 50 hz, then slowly roll off, then at about 25 hz, will quickly roll off. Apparently, the optimum setup for this is a 7 cu ft box tuned to 23 hz for flat response, which seems practically like free air at this point. Is this an example of a sub that winisd can't model? And... Do you think this tuning is too low for the application? He does not intend to really bump his system at any considerable volume. Do you think I should just tune this to 33-35 and then let him use the bass knob to control the volume? Just wanted to chime in on this piece. It's not good advice to tell someone to use bass boost as a volume knob. To the ear sometimes the boost may seem to have an affect like a volume knob, but it is most certainly not, and in an incorrectly tuned system the bass knob can spell disaster for your sub. Based on your friends said preferences, and the sub that is being used, I would go sealed and give it plenty of power even though he wont be listening to it loud. Is the bass remote a bass boost? I don't think it is. Sealed and plenty of power.. So 300-350 watts of power? I'm considering using the P1 instead of the R2 for sealed. It has an f3 of 38 hz, which seems acceptable. Overall, if I have to go through the effort of building a much larger and complicated box just to extend his response by a little, I'll just build a sealed.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.