99 Durango 4x4 full suspension (lift advice)

Well its about that time I'm soon going to be doing new of the following

*ball joints

*upper/lower control arms

*tie rods

*shocks

Now the advice I'm looking for is about lifting this bastard I have some rancho shocks that will give it a 3 inch lift but will I need to do additional mods in order for the vehicle to conform with the lift? Steering? Our anything of that sort thanks!

Ball joints are part of the control arms. Before proceeding with all those parts determine how high you want to go because if more than a couple inches you may need aftermarket versions. Shocks won't give you any lift. They will allow lift without topping out, but won't change the ride height.

Least expensive would be to crank up your front torsion bars--can probably get 2-3" out of that for free--and rear shackles. Easy 2" lift for probably $100.

Any higher than that in order to keep alignment you're looking at cross members or knuckles and a lot more money.

Static drops are my bag.

Shocks wont lift it. Coil springs will, 3" would be the max to lift without needing a trac bar drop bracket and longer control arms to keep the axle centered. I dont believe durangos have torsion bars but not positive. You could always get coil spacers but 3" or better youd need the trac drop and control arms. Hope this helps

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

Shocks wont lift it. Coil springs will, 3" would be the max to lift without needing a trac bar drop bracket and longer control arms to keep the axle centered. I dont believe durangos have torsion bars but not positive. You could always get coil spacers but 3" or better youd need the trac drop and control arms. Hope this helps

i was gonna say i dont think shocks would lift it

My setup,

Digital Designs M80

3 Re audio 10's ported tuned to 36 hz

Kenwood x-696

SHCA 0 gauge

Polk audio coax running off hu

99 Durangos are torsion bars front and leaf-under-axle rear. No coils, no trac bars.

Shocks still don't lift.

Crank torsion bars front (or new keys if not high enough) and install lift shackles in the back like I said before. Cheap and easy.

No steering support mods needed at that low of a lift--it's IFS. Just align it after.

Static drops are my bag.

I lifted my 01 for $50.

3in torsion keys cranked all the way

4" rear. Bolted the springs on top of the axle and welded shock tabs on the axle because I had to cut them off the spring plate.

Cleared 33x12.5 with no rubbing

MY BUILD

1998 Ford Explorer 2dr sport

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Juicebox black cherry addition

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

miss my bc5500 and (4) 15's

You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.

99 Durangos are torsion bars front and leaf-under-axle rear. No coils, no trac bars.

Shocks still don't lift.

Crank torsion bars front (or new keys if not high enough) and install lift shackles in the back like I said before. Cheap and easy.

No steering support mods needed at that low of a lift--it's IFS. Just align it after.

Cranking torsion keys puts alot of wear on the front end, cheap yes reliable certainly not

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

Stock suspension

IMG_20110609_164214.jpg

Cut and put on top / welded shock tabs

IMG_20110609_234159.jpg

IMG_20110609_234215.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

No alignment done, didn't even balance the tires and it drove straight as an arrow with no vibration

MY BUILD

1998 Ford Explorer 2dr sport

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Juicebox black cherry addition

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

miss my bc5500 and (4) 15's

You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.

Shocks still don't lift.

Cranking torsion keys puts alot of wear on the front end, cheap yes reliable certainly not

Same could be said of any suspension mod, no? They all change the stress points to some degree.

I've been doing this since the 1980s and have yet to see a failure from adjusting torsion bars. Yes there are better solutions, but they involve cross members and/or knuckles which I mentioned in my first post. At which point we are way above the desired lift height mentioned by the OP.

Cut and put on top / welded shock tabs

No alignment done, didn't even balance the tires and it drove straight as an arrow with no vibration

Nice flip kit in the back. What did you do in the front?

Static drops are my bag.

Archived