Second Skin Audio

wft!!! box problems

gmsierra2000

You might try having the port firing into a corner to add gain, I'm not sure about driver orientation and how aiming it wherever will affect gain.

For sealed might try down-firing or firing into a corner.

Just as Chris said this is my speculation.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

the rag to that I have is a 40"X40" rag opening so its like 11 Sqft of opening. these subs should move a really good amount of air. xmax is 16.4 mm. (I hope lol) I will prob try sub forward firing behind driver/passenger seat and port middle firing in the middle of the seat since I don't have two separate seat.

the question still stands. if you take a ported box and a sealed box, place it in an open area "no wall for sound to bounce off of" which will be louder?????

Assuming proper construction, the ported enclosure will always be louder because you have the benefit of using the back wave of the sub in addition to the front.

And window down/door open makes things seem louder because it allows the very long bass waveforms to travel past your years with less reflection and thus, less cancellation.

For a daily build that's not a number chaser, a ported box in a rag top will sound fine and quite loud to the ear. And, it might also lessen the reflections and actually make the lower bass region sound better/louder.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Assuming proper construction, the ported enclosure will always be louder because you have the benefit of using the back wave of the sub in addition to the front.

And window down/door open makes things seem louder because it allows the very long bass waveforms to travel past your years with less reflection and thus, less cancellation.

For a daily build that's not a number chaser, a ported box in a rag top will sound fine and quite loud to the ear. And, it might also lessen the reflections and actually make the lower bass region sound better/louder.

I also thing for a daily yes. but with what orientation, sub up/ port up or like the others said above sub up / port forward or side? this is what's really questioning to me

what do you guys think about a band pass box, instead of a ported box for the subs??? that way the subs would have some thing for the sound to bounce off of.

I don't really know much about a band pass, I just over seen this as an option. I am trying to sort things out before Saturday so I could have an idea on what to start building

what do you guys think about a band pass box, instead of a ported box for the subs??? that way the subs would have some thing for the sound to bounce off of.

I don't really know much about a band pass, I just over seen this as an option. I am trying to sort things out before Saturday so I could have an idea on what to start building

bandpass for 2 15's will be pretty large.

I actually just thought about this, but if you built the box on 'legs' in a sense so that there was space at the bottom of it to aim the port and subs firing down with the box being pushed as far back as possible, this may help in the sense of firing into a corner as Krakin suggested. Sound waves would be fired down to the floor with the only way to move being forward to the front of the vehicle.

Speculation again

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Also, 11 sq ft doesn't sound that big really. When I took my back seat out and built a false floor and stuck both zcons in a ported box with subs firing up and port forward it would be a good deal louder with the trunk open. I'm sure the trunk area's got to be around 11 sq ft for the opening. I feel like you may see a sort of similar result if you go through with this as the front of your cabin may act like the front of mine did

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Archived