Second Skin Audio

Difference between a "recone" and a "rebuild" (for the youngsters)))

Purplehaze

We hear it all the time around this and other sites,"I need to find a recone for my sub" or "so and so can sell you a recone". Yet in reading a lot of posts I have realized that many don't realize exactly what a "recone" is, or the difference between "reconing" a sub, and "rebuilding" one. So maybe I can help shed some light on this confusion for at least some of you. And don't feel bad, I used to be confused just like you.

Buying a "drop-in recone" means you are buying the entire moving mass, per-assembled specifically for your sub, that you simply have to glue properly into place, and connect the leads. It consist of the coil, cone, spiders, and leads, all assembled and ready to go.
Here is an example of a " drop-in recone" -

100_5944.jpg

So now on to "rebuilding" a sub. This would consist of assembling all of the parts yourself. It can be done to any sub, but is more common on custom subs, or when someone wants to change some things about their sub when fixing it.
A perfect example of a "re-build" is my Solo X 15 build. I took a motor from one sub, modified it to accept a different frame, and built it up using the parts I wanted. It has been changed, or "re-built" into a different sub. It is no longer the way it came originally, in any way what-so-ever, so that makes it a "custom re-built sub"

Example of "re-build" Solo X 15
From this:

100_4471.jpg

To this:

100_6179.jpg

100_6182.jpg

So you see, when building this, I could not just order a "recone", as it doesn't exist. I had to find each part separately; the cone, coil, spiders, basket, etc.
Now if I ordered extra parts, I could have built "drop-in recones" for it, and have them ready to go. (Which I should have done.)

Anyway, hopefully this helps some of you understand the difference. Just remember, a "recone" is the whole moving assembly, a re-build is building it all separately.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

I always say recone = moving parts, rebuild = everything.

That's close, pretty much right.

Recone = pre-assembled moving parts, rebuild = assemble yourself

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

I've been thinking of building custom subs lately, but don't really know where to start...you will probably get a PM from me soon buddy :drinks:

Very nice. i have heard the saying a million times but really never thought about it. Just assumed you dropped the recone in and were done. learn something new everyday. thanks.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177477-slowboring-07-trailblazer-build/

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
PRV 8MR400-NDY (eight)

PRV TW350Ti (6)
Sky High 1/0 OFC, 12 gauge and 8 gauge
TM Metalworkz battery terminals

120 sqft Hushmat
XS Power D3100 (6)
Singer 350 Amp Alt

Singer 320 (2)
American Bass SQL3200

JL Audio JX360/4

Crossfire XS 8K (2)

DC Audio XL 15s (6)

VbjgkeI_zpsc016cd1e.jpg

I've been thinking of building custom subs lately, but don't really know where to start...you will probably get a PM from me soon buddy :drinks:

Pm away, I will help all that I can!

I think a lot of people would find that they actually enjoy it more than they thought they would. I know I have.

Actually I haven't quit yet since the first one... I think I may actually like building subs more than installing them!

Very nice. i have heard the saying a million times but really never thought about it. Just assumed you dropped the recone in and were done. learn something new everyday. thanks.

Glad I could help!

Yeah the "drop-in re-cone" is definitely different than "building" a sub.

But I used to think the same thing, I had no idea there was a difference.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Pm away, I will help all that I can!

I think a lot of people would find that they actually enjoy it more than they thought they would. I know I have.

Actually I haven't quit yet since the first one... I think I may actually like building subs more than installing them!

Yea I'm a BIG diy guy, and I started seeing people post about their custom built subs and started thinking about how much I would enjoy building my own.

PM on the way bro!

Good clarification!

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Archived