Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Recommended Posts

Posted

I envy you guys that have the skill, resources and the time to construct your own sub boxes(I cant cut a straight line, lol). I have been shopping and comparing online til my head hurts. Well, I finally had a day off work to go out and visit a local "High End" install shop. I was curious as to what it would cost to have a rectangle shaped slot ported box built for the back of my suburban...4 12" cut-outs,11 cubes, and slot ported along the bottom edge. I feel this would be a rather simple box, especially since all they had to do was follow my dimensions.

The salesman talked me into listening to his head installer's car ( 2 RE SE 12's in a ported box w/ 1500watts) It sounded ok..I did not hear anything above and beyond my 2 Memphis PR 12's in a ported box on 900 watts. The sales man asks: whaddya think? My reply: Makes me wanna hear a couple of SE 15's!.. he says: you dont need them. He takes me inside, wasting my time trying to sell me a couple of RE 12's at 2.5 times what I can get them online and finally I say: Hey, about my reason for stopping by, how much to build that box? He replies: $800. I say: Fiberglass?..I just wanted 3/4 mdf properly braced. He says: MDF, How much do you think its worth? I say: $250 to $300..He says: My installers time is worth alot more than that.

Was he blowing me off, cuz I didnt care for RE or JL stuff in my ride? or ppl really charge that much for a speaker box??

Posted

I would have told him that his employees shit was weak, and if ur box was gonna sound like that then $800 is crazy, build ur own, just get the MDF cut at the lumber yard most places do it for free...since u already have dimensions

Around here it would cost u around $300-$350

2000 Chevy Blazer

ALT. - Mechman 270amp

DECK - Pioneer DEH-P4000UB

INTERIOR - Infinity Reference 6020cs

INT. AMP - RF P400-4

SUBS - 2 15" RF Punch P3s

SUB AMP - RF T1000-1bd

REAR BATT. - Stinger SPP1200

Just a lil sum sum to get me back in the game!!

Posted

He says: My installers time is worth alot more than that.

Thats when you reply hey asshole your installers time is only as valuable as the customer !!!! There are people on here that will make you a box . My local shop fucked me out of 600 bucks for a "custom box" and all it was was a prefab box that fits behind my 3rd seat !!!

dcaudio.jpg ALLAH's the most gracious, he made the universe the most spaciousSeen and heard in all places, but still appear facelessEmbraces all races, all caste and all casesIn every spec of life he's the substance of all tracesSMDsigbannr9.jpg
Posted
Thats messed up have Spl2k build you a box and ship it to you

I am going to contact him and see what we can do. I have noticed alot of ppl here are like myself. You start comparing prices, sizes, etc. We get really wishy washy lol. Lets turn this into an opinion chaser...4 Memphis 12's (2 are 3 wks old, the other 2 are still in the box..been offered what I got in them) or 2 AQ HDC 15's? (if they get some in soon like I hear)

If 2 15's,

AQ 2200 or Crunch gp 3000d pro?

Posted

I would say fuck you and your installers. I have yet to see a regular MDF ported box worth $800. he needs to come off his high horse.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

Posted

my friend wanted this guy at his shop to make me one. 5-600 i think. tooooo much for a box imo. plus i like making them myself. made one for cartunez2004 off this forum. in the process of another with a lil fiberglass on it. got me a new router and jasper jig this time :D :D

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6349 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...