Jhunt94 Posted November 1, 2013 Report Posted November 1, 2013 I had a question about my Fi Q 15 and I figured that this would be the perfect place to ask questions related to car audio so I made an account and here I am. I bought a Q 15 with the high QTS option because I have a regular cab F-150 and I intended to run the subwoofer sealed because I couldn't make a very big box without taking out some of the interior. Well after playing around with measurements of the box I built a box that is 3.3 cu ft and is within the numbers recommended by Fi to run the subwoofer ported. Right now the box is sealed but I've thought about putting a port in it. My question is would it sound fine if I decided to port the box or should I keep the box sealed. I saw where someone said that Fi told them it would be alright to but the high QTS sub in a ported, but I don't know if the person really talked to someone from Fi. I'm hoping someone here can help me. 2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside250 Mechman AlternatorSky High Car Audio Big 3 XS Power D3400Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kitRockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcpRockford Fosgate T400-4DC Audio Lvl 4 12"Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" componentRockford Fosgate Punch 6x8Pioneer AVH-P2300DVDSMD Volt Meter
john253a Posted November 1, 2013 Report Posted November 1, 2013 It will produce more sq in a sealed box then a ported with that option But you can get louder with that option in a ported box, Only down side is you will need to tune high for it to sound any good I've found 40-45hz (42 is my preface) when doing it
Jhunt94 Posted November 1, 2013 Author Report Posted November 1, 2013 It will produce more sq in a sealed box then a ported with that option But you can get louder with that option in a ported box, Only down side is you will need to tune high for it to sound any good I've found 40-45hz (42 is my preface) when doing it So have you done this?? 2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside250 Mechman AlternatorSky High Car Audio Big 3 XS Power D3400Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kitRockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcpRockford Fosgate T400-4DC Audio Lvl 4 12"Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" componentRockford Fosgate Punch 6x8Pioneer AVH-P2300DVDSMD Volt Meter
john253a Posted November 2, 2013 Report Posted November 2, 2013 yes with good success, just don't except to play below 35-37 with any serenity
kirill007 Posted November 2, 2013 Report Posted November 2, 2013 If you have that much room before a port comes into play you will not have enough air space after port displacement. And since you have chosen the high QTS option, it wouldn't be smart to switch over to a ported box because it will be a lot peakier then your sealed box. Just keep the box sealed. If you go ported in a small space like that it will sound worse and might also not even be louder. Thinking is the root of all problems... You ALWAYS get what you pay for.
Jhunt94 Posted November 2, 2013 Author Report Posted November 2, 2013 If you have that much room before a port comes into play you will not have enough air space after port displacement. And since you have chosen the high QTS option, it wouldn't be smart to switch over to a ported box because it will be a lot peakier then your sealed box. Just keep the box sealed. If you go ported in a small space like that it will sound worse and might also not even be louder. Well that measurement of airspace was after port and sub displacement on the Torres calculator, but I guess I'll keep it sealed thanks for the advice 2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside250 Mechman AlternatorSky High Car Audio Big 3 XS Power D3400Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kitRockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcpRockford Fosgate T400-4DC Audio Lvl 4 12"Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" componentRockford Fosgate Punch 6x8Pioneer AVH-P2300DVDSMD Volt Meter
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.