Second Skin Audio

difference is current 18" Fi subs?

Fuzzy336

You need to keep the port at least x inches away from any surface with x being the smallest dimension of the port. So if you had a port 8 inches wide 12inches tall and 14 inches deep (just random numbers, don't use this) then you need a minimum of 8 inches of space for the port to breathe right.

How far off would I need the box to be away from my back hatch? I might get a bit more space out of that, and I can also get the box to extend over the battery in the back to gain some space there.

And if I'm running common air space between the subs, with the port on the back the port wouldn't be that big would it? Atleast from the numbers I was comparing on the12volt calc it doesn't seem to need to be that big, but port size is something I'm still learning lol.

And to the person asking about electrical, I'm going to be running 6000 watts rms on 2 d3100's, mechman 270 amp alt, and 3 runs of 0 ga from hood to rear between the batteries, I think I'll be good on electrical.

port is gonna be like 3 cubes, rough figure. depends on port area and desired tuning.

With 4 18s and that amount of Xmax per sub, figuring a port that gives 500", the outer dimensions(single walled and I'd do double) would be a displacement of 6.5 cubes. These estimates are kinda rough, I'm throwing them together quick. I also figured a tune of 32Hz, internal volume of 28 cubes.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

How important is the square inches of port per cubic foot? and what's a good idea to use?

And Rockford, that's what I had heard before and that is what my current design is based off of, thanks for confirming that though.

And lastly, if I was to tune to like 30 Hz, why couldn't I just do a port like 4" x 23" x 3.5" deep(rough depth going off memory, it's close to that depth though), which would be a 30 Hz tune port for a 20 cubic foot according to the12volt calculators? Or would that truly just sound like absolute crap?

My bad if I'm asking a lot of questions, I've got a good general understanding of car audio I feel like, but I want to learn as much technical info as I can, that's for all the input everyone!

My Youtube Channel

Trying to guess the SPL of a system with out a meter is like trying to guess how much air pressure is in a compressor tank just by letting some of the air out.

...Seems like 90 psi...

who. who is running 18" Fi drivers in 4 cubes of space?

a lot of people isn't one person.

listen, mate. its either Fi 15's, or sundown zv3 18's, or some other brand that makes 18's that like really small enclosures. which is a rarity.

. I'm running team ascendants in 4 cubes per I ran mayhems an dc xls in same box .. Everyone says u need too follow recommended airspace well when I did that with 2 subs box was either too high or too far back an sounded like garbage .. Op 16 cubes net Will work I'm below seat line an 10-12 in from rear doors keep port around 11-12 per cube u will be fine

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Ad an inch to your height or two I bet you can get the cubic feet you need.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

N8 current outer dimensions are 49" x 25" x 36", so you think adding inches height wise would fix everything? And what's your opinion on my last post?

My Youtube Channel

Trying to guess the SPL of a system with out a meter is like trying to guess how much air pressure is in a compressor tank just by letting some of the air out.

...Seems like 90 psi...

I honestly dont like small boxes small port if I can help it. If you add an inch or two to your height yiu can pick up substantial amt of airspace. If you are dead set on 18s. Do aero ports and rod bracing. And hope you can tweak it enough to get your airspace up. Ftr I hate aeros and small boxes. Theres a chance that you may have to run so many aeros to get your port area up it wont be saving any space anyways

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

who. who is running 18" Fi drivers in 4 cubes of space?

a lot of people isn't one person.

listen, mate. its either Fi 15's, or sundown zv3 18's, or some other brand that makes 18's that like really small enclosures. which is a rarity.

. I'm running team ascendants in 4 cubes per I ran mayhems an dc xls in same box .. Everyone says u need too follow recommended airspace well when I did that with 2 subs box was either too high or too far back an sounded like garbage .. Op 16 cubes net Will work I'm below seat line an 10-12 in from rear doors keep port around 11-12 per cube u will be fine

well obviously yeah it'll work. but recommended > anything else. guy near me does 60's with 4 team fi 15's and each one is in like 3 cubes of space. too small, but he puts up numbers.

Archived