3000 rms and ho alternator tons of questions

So right now I have a pure audio 3000.1d amplifier with 2 12s and my voltage drops to around 11.9 lowest. Car has stock 110 amp alternator with a yellow top up front and big 3 done in 0 gauge.

So I was going to get a 200a alternator because all the other ones for my car are $700+. But one company when I asked them if I would gain from just a 200a alternator this is what they said

With the stock regulator it is possible there is a small performance gain but the difference in performance was drastically better with the external regulator because it allows field current (message current to the alternator) to be increased where as the PCM limits it.

So if I get a 200a alternator should I externally regulate it? It does have its own regulator in it from what I know . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vehicle type?

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

I would externally regulate, but you may end up with a battery light on depending on your vehicle. If you look at my sig you will see what i am running. I am using a mechman 240amp and two group 34 AGM. Full tilt i drop from 14.3 to 14.0. I don't know wht your drop will be because you will be running a 200amp and who know what your box rise is like compared to mine.

Mechman has an external regulator to run on there alts

On my pcm regulated f150 with mechman 250amp alt I am charging at 14.8 sometimes in the 15s. Before I added second amp I was running 1 sundown 2500 at .7ohm an was dropping to 14.2ish with one xs xp3000.

09 mustang gt

My car is a 2006 mazdaspeed 6. How do I externally regulate a alt if it already has a regulator built inside? With the music off or on low my voltage sits around 13.8-14.1 would putting in an external regulator make it go up to 14.4? I was going to get another battery only if needed after the high output alt.

I know some alternators are internally regulated so when you go to buy a high output, you just let them know you want an external regulator too...There are also companies like Missing Link (who used to be on the site....? Don't know where they went...) who make a voltage module unit that is an add on. And yes, it's possible the regulator will make it charge to 14.4+ but it's more about sustaining the power your making....Not letting it go down, opposed to making it go up.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

If it's an option, do it. But like Strangeduck said, you may throw codes. As for an MLA, I had one on my Impala and although it helped cold charge higher, i only gained about .3 - .4volts.

Archived