Slammed Dodge Challenger Sundown/CT Sounds Build

Wondering if the enclosure is too big or small? I know it's a general type statement, but still applies. Hard to tell. What don't you like about it?

Also, what are the screws you used to mount them? They look like Spax screws from Home Depot.

Its an odd sound, like the subs sound muddy and distorted like they're going to blow when I turn them up. Its just not a pretty sound being produced, not that significantly loud at least compared to past systems and it doesn't move that much air. They're "cabinet screws". They have the torx bit head, I figured that would be the best to prevent someone from stealing the subs.

If it's not sealed and firing forward would be another reason

Well I planned on sealing it once I get everything right, but Idk if I really want to spray a bunch of expanding foam everywhere If its going to still sound muddy. I might pull the surround structure out and put the box alone firing into the rear and see how it sounds. Unfortunately Idk if i can even get this whole thing out without breaking it in the process.

And maybe a dumb question, you have the subs wired parallel? I can't tell from the pics.

What did you use to get your numbers? I jus used a site online to get some quick numbers and it says your port, with the dimensions you gave, should be 24" long to be tuned to 35Hz. So from the opening in, on the centerline, should be 9 1/4". And after the 90, starting in the centerline, 14 3/4". Yours looks quite a bit longer than that, so maybe you are tuned lower than you think? Or maybe the site is shitty and I'm way off. . . .

The subs are wired to 1 ohm. I tried using torres but for some reason It kept giving me irrational numbers when I entered different values for port dimensions that made absolutely no sense. I got these numbers I used from the12volt box calculator. Hopefully that wasn't my mistake. Its not really port noise, its just this tone being produced like the subs are at their mechanical limitation like its just nasty sounding. Its definitely not as loud as I had hoped.

09 Challenger R/T (Audio system under construction):

• Pioneer AVH-X4500BT (PAC RP4CH11 harness)
  • (2) Sundown Audio SA-8v2 (inverted)
  • CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • 40 sq ft. Audiotechnix deadener
  • 1/0 Audiotechnix wiring
  • stock Boston Acoustic 7 speaker amplified system (for now)
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/178399-slammed-dodge-challenger-sundownct-sounds-build/

TEAM GOAT

signature-1.jpgsubsignature.jpg

I'm no professional, but if it's distorted even with low volume, isn't that the enclosure volume being too big? I don't want to get flammed, but that's what it sounds like to me.

My opinion is this:

Flip the drivers so the motors are in the box.

then use cardboard, and duct tape, or gorilla tape, and seal off between the trunk and cabin.

See what you have then.

Those are just suggesions, and like I said, I'm no professional and I may be way off, but to me that's what it sounds like.

Well if it sounds like mechanical limits it could be them bottoming out, but I would be surprised if that was happening. If they're brand new and unplayed it might be everything loosening up though I don't know how realistic "break-in" is since I've never had more than 2 subs and had no idea what break-in was at the time. Though by now I'm assuming you would hear a difference if they had reasonable play time with a range of music.

I'm kinda with scooter, maybe it might be a little big, at least the way it is with your port set up it might be. Maybe give them a flip and see?

And I'd also try sealing it off from the trunk even if it's temporary and not super clean, just to see if it helps at all. Could stuff some pillows all behind it and use tape and towels to seal it for a quick try.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

Well I've heard mixed things in regard to "break in". I was told when I got my type r's years ago those subs needed 2 weeks of daily playing to be "fully broken in", but then now I'm under the impression that you can go full tilt on subs out of the box and they should be able to handle it. I haven't done any real tuning to the amp so I think this could have a lot to do with it sounding odd. I don't have any real way of setting the gain properly but its a little past half way. I also turned the LPF to about half way as well. It already sounds a lot better, I'm not sure if the LPF adjustment really caused this or not but I notice a difference in tone in the low notes and its overall increase in volume.

20140122_145825.jpg

So looking at this I have the gain adjusted along with the LPF, but the subsonic and the bass adjustments haven't been touched at all. And my understanding is that the phase doesn't need to be adjusted at all unless I decided to put one sub in the box and one inverted. What setting should the subsonic and the bass be adjusted to? This is a learning process for me lol

• CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/178399-slammed-dodge-challenger-sundownct-sounds-build/

TEAM GOAT

I didn't know that.

My best advise at this point is find someone who will let you borrow or rent a DD1 and set the head unit and the amps properly. You can't guess.

I'd let you borrow mine but I'm hoping that I'll be using it this weekend.

That's going to help you alot.

Then after they are set, start looking into other things, for example sealing it up like we were talking about. You may not need to flip the subs, but at the end of the day, it's not much work to see what happens. If nothing good, then flip them back.

Anyone else agree? Or even have any other suggestions?

I actually know someone with a dd-1. And the dd-1 can set every setting on the amp?

• CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

TEAM GOAT

I actually know someone with a dd-1. And the dd-1 can set every setting on the amp?

No. It detects the HU's max clean output, and allows you to properly set the gain.

What amp? Does it just have HPF/SSF, LPF, Bass Boost, and Gain?

Bass boost should be 0, and the DD1 took care of the gain. The HPF/SSF should be set about 5hz below box tuning (check for bottoming out), and LPF is person preference. Most people set it between 65 and 85 hz.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Pretty much. I think the cc1 is for the frequencies etc. Someone correct me if I'm wrong of course. But the DD-1, is what you need to make sure you're getting the full power potential out of your head unit and amp without clipping.

well my buddies cousin has both the cc-1 and dd-1. I just gotta figure out how to use it and i can do it myself. Thank god I have that option. The head unit has a 4v preamp which if I'm not mistaken means the gain on the amp can be turned up higher than that of a 2v preamp and still not clip.

No. It detects the HU's max clean output, and allows you to properly set the gain.

What amp? Does it just have HPF/SSF, LPF, Bass Boost, and Gain?

Bass boost should be 0, and the DD1 took care of the gain. The HPF/SSF should be set about 5hz below box tuning (check for bottoming out), and LPF is person preference. Most people set it between 65 and 85 hz.

Its a CT Sounds AT1400.1D. So the subsonic filter is the same as a HPF? Because it doesn't have a HPF.

• CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

TEAM GOAT

Archived