Second Skin Audio

How to build enclosures as a side job?

shanesauce

Before I get too far ahead of myself let me make a statement, I am by no means a audio expert but I feel like I could offer a much better product than a pre-fabricated enclosure available at both audio shops in my city.

Audio has always been a passion of mine, I helped my dad with a install in his truck when I was about 12 and since then I have been hooked. The moment I received my first vehicle I started planning my build and how I would make it sound good with very little money.

Long story short I had a much louder, cleaner sounding setup than all of the other kids in my school who had their installs done by the local shop. AND I spent about half the money that they did.

Anyways, I am looking for a way to make a bit of extra money on the side and my job schedule wouldn't allow another job because of my alternating days every week and 6pm-6am is a hard shift to work around.

What I am needing from my fellow audio nuts is information, is this idea of mine just a wacky never going to happen type of thing or is it a possibility? How can I go about putting myself out there? I feel like there is not enough people that care about audio on that level, and the people that do would just build their own enclosure.

- 2012 Mustang 3.7 Manual

- Audio under construction

post to craigslist and offer your services @ a decent price. A lot of craigslist posting for enclosures and installs are local shops now a days.

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

I figured craigslist would be my first option, luckily the local shop doesn't really advertise or build custom enclosures.

And the next closest shop is like 40 miles away and they very rarely get business due to their prices.

I'm not looking for solid revenue, just something to make a few bucks here and there and get my skill level up.

I figure if I can build a enclosure that looks really good even without carpet I can make some decent cash.

What tools do I need to invest in besides a router?

I post to craigslist, and post all my pictures on facebook, word of mouth too. I'd suggest putting together a small "portfolio" of sorts for your ad on craigslist. Take pics of boxes you've built and attach them to the ad.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

I post to craigslist, and post all my pictures on facebook, word of mouth too. I'd suggest putting together a small "portfolio" of sorts for your ad on craigslist. Take pics of boxes you've built and attach them to the ad.

Pictures are definitely good advertising, what would be a good starting price or how do you go about quoting people?

I figure a sheet of 3/4" is about 30 dollars then glue, carpet, paint and terminals if needed.

Maybe start out charging supply cost plus $40 for a small box and like $60 and up for larger boxes?

Should I look at threaded rod or dowel for bracing?

I just charge a base amount, I do standard round-over for edges and port. (seriously a 5 minute job that makes the enclosure so much more appealing, worth it not to charge, they'll love the work so much more)

I charge based on amount of subs and the size of the subs. 45's I don't charge for, I'll put them in if the design calls for them, like at the back corner of an L-port.

I'd do dowel bracing.

Here's my pricing. Honestly you can charge a good amount. It's very generalized and only an approximate quote. I give a final quote when I have the box designed.

1 8" - $120
1 10" - $140
1 12" - $160
1 15" - $190
1 18" - $220

2 8" - $150
2 10" - $180
2 12" - $200
2 15" - $230
2 18" - $275

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

I'm pretty much trying to do the same thing as you are. I'm just getting started so I don't have a whole lot to tell you from experience but here are a few things to think about.

Time how many hours you put into the next box you build. This will help you figure out how much to charge so you don't end up making $2/hour. It takes me about five hours to build a ported box, though I think I put more effort into making a better box than some folks do :-) and I'm getting a lot faster every time.

Having the right tools = higher quality work in less time. I am fortunate to already have a pretty complete workshop. The tools I rely on for every build are: table saw, circular saw, router, & router table. I really wouldn't want to try to do a build w/o them. You can get good deals on used tools on craigslist if you know what you are looking at.

For advertising I've got a facebook site I try to get as many folks as possible to look at/like (see below), I post ads on craigslist, and I try to get as many of my friends as possible using my enclosures, even if that means I sell them at or below cost. Word of mouth is where I expect most of my business to come from.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

it all depends on the sub, and materials, and hours needed to make the box. Most people will want you to make the enclosure to specs. This means add bracing, terminal cups, fiberglass, baffles, exc. Just post a resume of things you've done. If you sound legit you'll at least get contacted for a quote.

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

Word of mouth is king. I can't tell you how many times I'll be in the drive thru or out shopping and random people come up to me and say "Hey you're that kid with the wall in his car!"

Most of the times it's followed up by "Can you put something together for me?"

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

first realize that if your design and enclosure cause there subs to blow its on you, you have to kic the money out for the recones

second dont say you can do something that you cant if you dont know how to do bandpasses dont experiment on a customers ride

third build a reputation however you can

ive built a box or two for a couple ppl

Archived