brent379 Posted December 1, 2013 Report Posted December 1, 2013 hey guys need some help from more experienced people. just built a new box...dimensions are 37 wide...13 deep...and 12.5 tall...port is a 6 inch port 25 inches long flared on both the inside of the box and the outside... I also fiberglassed the inside of the box... running two sd10d2's off an aq2200d at .5 ohm... when I have it going full tilt it seems like its blowing wayyyyyyyy too much air out of the port....almost like the port is not big enough. port area should be at about 14sqin per cubic foot. but with how small the box is if I go to an 8 inch port it has to be ridiculously long. unless im completely missing something. anyone got any suggestions?
Triticum Agricolam Posted December 1, 2013 Report Posted December 1, 2013 Sounds like you already know the what the problem is, your port is too small. Two SD-10s should have at least 32 sq in of port area and more like 43 or more sq in would be better, your 6" aero only has 28 sq in. The old way of calculating port area as 12-16 sq in per cubic foot of volume isn't the best and only gives you a rough idea. If I were you I'd rebuild the box with a slot port, that way you can make it as big or small as you need. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
brent379 Posted December 1, 2013 Author Report Posted December 1, 2013 damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the first box I have ever failed on!!!!!!!!!!!!! and its also the nicest one I have ever built lol....go figure. well I guess its back to the drawing board....I guess this just confirms that port area is NOT something you can skimp on to try to save space...even a little bit. going to have to build a whole new box because there is absolutely no way I will get this one apart... im going to try them isobaric tomorrow just because. thanks for your help man.
Joe X Posted December 1, 2013 Report Posted December 1, 2013 OP there's something really wrong, the box size Reentered the data and it's actually around 2 cubes sorry.
brent379 Posted December 1, 2013 Author Report Posted December 1, 2013 your off on the box size bro..... INTERNALLY there is only 2.59 cubes BEFORE any displacement. and I was running for of these tens in just over 5 cubes at 34hz and I didn't have enough power for them. yes these tens are rated at 500rms but they can take so much more.... get on YouTube and when you do a search on these subs a guy at sundown was putting 7-800 to one doing just free air testing.... they are beastly little tens.
Guest Posted December 1, 2013 Report Posted December 1, 2013 im seeing about 1.99 cubes at 36hz after displacements. and like 14.2sqin of port per cube. i used a single 6" aero port, 25" long, in the calc. edit: he's got the recommended space down to a T. they require 1 cube per sd 10. OP is just throwing twice the rated power to the woofers.
brent379 Posted December 1, 2013 Author Report Posted December 1, 2013 that is exactly the specs of the box.... exactly what I came up with when designing it. and yes I'm throwing at least twice their rated at them and they are not even batting an eye at it.... I'm very surprised. just not enough port area I thought it would be ok but it's definately not.... washes out hard on any low note under maybe 33-34 hz...
Guest Posted December 1, 2013 Report Posted December 1, 2013 that is exactly the specs of the box.... exactly what I came up with when designing it. and yes I'm throwing at least twice their rated at them and they are not even batting an eye at it.... I'm very surprised. just not enough port area I thought it would be ok but it's definately not.... washes out hard on any low note under maybe 33-34 hz... 14sqin for an aero port is kind of a lot actually.
brent379 Posted December 1, 2013 Author Report Posted December 1, 2013 your right... but it's not enough
Joe X Posted December 1, 2013 Report Posted December 1, 2013 your right... but it's not enough If the port clogs at high output the box should perform better as you lower the volume. Is this what you did?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.