Installing new head unit.. won't turn on

I'm fairly new to the car audio scene, but I am always willing to learn. I just purchased a new pioneer head unit from walmart to replace my dvd player I had (wasn't so friendly to my subwoofer) for my chevy HHR 06.

The H/U came with 3 main power wires: Yellow (constant 12v), Red (Acc ignition switch), and Black (for ground).

I connected all those wires correctly to my harness (which connected my DVD player without any hiccups). The only wire I didn't use from the harness was the orange illumination wire which I have taped off.

Now, when I crank my car or switch the ignition to acc the H/U will not turn on. I have checked all the necessary fuses under the hood and under the passenger console, only one fuse was blown but had nothing to do with the radio. After further investigation I decided to see what would happen if I touched the connected ACC wires with the connected Constant 12v wires and the H/U turned on, but this would drain my battery if left wired incorrectly.

What could this problem be? Just earlier today it was powering my DVD player just fine... I should also mention, the stereo shop before had my Remote amp wire wired into my ACC wire when my DVD player was connected.. but the amp always turned on and off with the car, no idea why but I thought I should mention.

the problen could be that it does not have sufficient voltage to power the head unit.. when i was installing my head unit a few months back.. i got my light tester and with ACC on on the light would turn on but the H/U didnt. i got my dmm and it only read 9 volts.. i looked for a 12 volt wire and it now works.. sucks that i thought the hu was bad so took it out before double checking

the problen could be that it does not have sufficient voltage to power the head unit.. when i was installing my head unit a few months back.. i got my light tester and with ACC on on the light would turn on but the H/U didnt. i got my dmm and it only read 9 volts.. i looked for a 12 volt wire and it now works.. sucks that i thought the hu was bad so took it out before double checking

hmm, so you think if I connected the ACC from the H/U to say.. the cig lighter it would work? I can't find my DMM anywhere right now so i have no idea if its receiving proper voltage.

did you install a pac module? if not the red needs to go to accesory line in steering column if you not good with car electronics and using a meter you might want to consider the module. module is pac c2r gm11 it also gives chime other wise you loose that function

did you install a pac module? if not the red needs to go to accesorycan always grab it from the steering column if you not good with car electronics and using a meter you might want to consider the module

I do indeed have a pac module installed. The pac module works fine.

I noticed the red ACC goes to the Pac module and then to the H/U.. the module has full power, though.

did you install a pac module? if not the red needs to go to accesorycan always grab it from the steering column if you not good with car electronics and using a meter you might want to consider the module

I noticed the red ACC goes to the Pac module and then to the H/U.. the module has full power, though.

hmmmm.. i would test it with a meter and make sure your getting 12 volts in red wire and the yellow wire. also check the ground sometimes factory grounds can break off. in dash. also check the fuse on the back of the deck

hmmmm.. i would test it with a meter and make sure your getting 12 volts in red wire and the yellow wire. also check the ground sometimes factory grounds can break off. in dash. also check the fuse on the back of the deck

I can't find my meter atm, but the fuses are all good, ground is good, yellow wire has power (turned the car off and touched the orange wire with it and it lit all my lights), i think the problem lies within the red acc wire.. I don't understand what went wrong.

How diff you test the fuses? I can tell you from experience that just because a fuse looks good it may still be blown. Make sure to test them with the dmm just to be safe.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

For the head unit to turn on, the red and yellow need hooked up to positive and black to negative. See if it turns on from that straight to the battery. Regards,

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Module could be bad. Seen it before

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived