Second Skin Audio

how do i figure out how big i have to make the port?

GueroZ28

The port shown in the pic is not flared. . .

If we had two boxes with the same net internal, orientations, and with the outside opening being flange; would having an aero port with a decent amount of flaring, both on the outside as well as the inside, allow for a higher velocity of air to travel than having a 1:1, 2:1, or 3:1 rectangular vent of the same area and same flaring radii?

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Well a circular port like the one shown takes up less space than a standard rectangular slot port, and circular ports require less port area than the standard slot port.

If you are really stretching for room here the aero port will be your best bet.

Oh and where can i get a port like that?? Is it a regular tube or something?

Standard 6" PVC pipe can be found in lowe's, home depot and such, also on ebay last time I checked.

Is it 11inches from end to end (including the 3inches its popped out) or from the wood to the end of the port?

Yes it's 11 total length 3 inches out, you could also do a flared port but it would look odd.

Well a circular port like the one shown takes up less space than a standard rectangular slot port, and circular ports require less port area than the standard slot port.

If you are really stretching for room here the aero port will be your best bet.

Oh and where can i get a port like that?? Is it a regular tube or something?

Standard 6" PVC pipe can be found in lowe's, home depot and such, also on ebay last time I checked.
Is it 11inches from end to end (including the 3inches its popped out) or from the wood to the end of the port?

Yes it's 11 total length 3 inches out, you could also do a flared port but it would look odd.

What would be the difference?

You can buy a flared port or flare the PVC pipe yourself with heat, that is if you wish to flare, and yes flaring is beneficial, if you are willing to put the extra effort I would recommend doing so, on the port area, the 6" round port exceeds the manufacturer recommended port area for two subs and also meets your needed small box size, just stay within rated power and it will work as expected.

You can buy a flared port or flare the PVC pipe yourself with heat, that is if you wish to flare, and yes flaring is beneficial, if you are willing to put the extra effort I would recommend doing so, on the port area, the 6" round port exceeds the manufacturer recommended port area for two subs and also meets your needed small box size, just stay within rated power and it will work as expected.

And what is the rated power?

If i were to flare it how am i suppose to get it in the hole

600W RMS @ 1 ohm to the pair, you can install the port with the inner flare done and then once mounted do the outside one but best is get one factory made, or buy the flares separately, check partsexpress.com, you need some practice to get neatly made flares.

600W RMS @ 1 ohm to the pair, you can install the port with the inner flare done and then once mounted do the outside one but best is get one factory made, or buy the flares separately, check partsexpress.com, you need some practice to get neatly made flares.

Any where i can buy them not online? If not i think ill just put the pvc pipe like that

Archived