*2/5/2014* New Excessive Amp Alt TESTED 136A..

I bought a second hand unit off of the internet 8 months ago. About 2 months ago I was noticing that my lights dimmed a lot under heavy load. I clamp tested my alternator only to find out that its maximum output was just over 60 amps.

I'm verified this multiple times as well as verifying the equipment on other alternators. I then contacted Nate and excessive amperage and asked him if he could service the unit. In fact I asked him about potentially servicing the unit if need be before I even purchased the alternator online. To be clear it is an EA unit, and he replied yes, hed be happy to look at it if I needed him to.

I sent him the unit in mid Oct roughly. I contacted him before sending it, he gave me the addy etc to send It. Probably earlier, I could get the date if needed. Inside my package was the external regulator and alt. Wired exactly as I had it. With a paper stating my name and contact info car motor etc.

I called him 2 weeks approx. After he should have gotten it. I finally got ahold of him. He said hes busy before finals and that hed look at it. I said ok no hurry. I understand. About a week later I called him to ask for an update, he said hes just opening it right now. Admitted that it had just been sitting there the whole time. It was right around his closing time, he said hed look at it completely tom. I said ok, id call him in a few days.

Like a week later I finally get ahold of him. I said whats going on? He said there was no name inside so he didnt know whos alt it was... when talked about it several times and he confirmed who I was and all the details.. and there WAS a paper inside.

I explained my frustration kindly, and he said its a bad winding of some sort. I dont recall exactly, he said hell get the new part and be finished by the end of the week. I said well its a second unit, he knows this, I said how much will the repair cost? How could you order parts without first clarifying the cost of the repair? He said oh I think its under warranty. .... its like a 3 year old unit second hand off CACO but ok. He said hed have to double chexk that though.

I said ok well by the end of the week for sure? He said yes. I asked him what exactly was the diag. On the unit? He said idk that hed have to check his log. I asked him to please email me that info. He took down my info. Which he already has but nvm. And he told me he placed it with my unit and would def. Follow up. He said hes busy and he closes shop for the winter in mid Dec..

This was the week before thanksgiving.

Now admittedly I was to call him mon the week of the goliday. I didnt. I figured for sure hed email me. Hes busy with many units to finish up before mid dec. And it was the holidays..

I called the week after, nothing.
I called 2 days later. Nothing.

Always leaving voice mails.

Ive called many times and now idk what im supposed to do. If he closes shop am I to wait till spring thaw lol to get my alt back? Doesnt he base in Florida? Like what do I do?

Sorry for the crazy long phone post. If anybody reads any of this, thanks. I just dont know what to do about this. I feel ive been very patient. Ive taken his word on several occasion, with no actual result..

My first alt I bought new from him, everything was great getting a hold of him was easy.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

• 1 month later...
OK sorry for the uber long delay graveyard post.

Last I left off, I was supposed to receive a new alt at no charge from EA after the first of the year. I was told to remind him on FB.

I reminded him several times over the course of ohhh 2 weeks. Next thing I know, he replies saying itll be at my door the next day, it was shipped like a few days ago. Thanks for the communication lol.

So I got the alt. Looks new, look good. Thank you EA. I ran into some health problems and havent had time to work on it until recently, thanks to my buddy for basically doing all the work.

ALT PIX:

20140205_143119_zpsa2e10a24.jpg

Its brand new just dusty from the work going on with other projects.

20140205_143113_zps222f7ea7.jpg

Next to the old stock alt. Way smaller pulley.

So a brief back story:

Bought my original alt of CACO for 2010 elantra. Externally regulated. I installed it worked great for months.. noticed excessive voltage drop lights dimming.. finally got around to load testing it..

It did like 65 AMPS LOL

The stock unit did 80 AMPS IIRC

So I sent it for repair to EA. Long story short they dropped the ball a little bit. Finally sent me a new unit for free. Great.

Load tested this bad boy.

Result: 136 AMPS or there about. I couldnt take a pic as I was revving the engine.

So... i think ya know the car is taking at least 20 amps so its capable of ~150 AMPS

Not so GREAT. I bought a unit for my 99 Monte Carlo from EA originally. Did like 236 AMPS rated at 200. Very impressed. Car broke sold the alt, new car - now a new alt..

Was hoping for ~200a

But what can I say it was free and ~2x stock.. Idk how to feel about it. The stator windings are shorter on the new alt than stock beefier diodes by a little bit..

For better or for worse this is my conclusion to this. Just wanted to post the final product.

I dont think I wanna go through EA like hey man this only does 150a or less, just cut my losses and run it until I can get a better unit.

So thats what happened :P

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Yea its a lookin like it. I sent my alt in for repair. Idk what happened, it was a second hand alt. Not in any way EAs fault. I jusy wanted it repaired to original 200a spec.

Through all that trouble he sends me a free alt. Great. Thanks. it does 136a... I woulda paid for the repair, I sent in a broken 200a alt I expect to get a working 200a alt back.

Guess not.

Shoulda went mechman/dc

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

had issue with them back in the day like 8 yrs ago. they where the only company to make a HO alt for my 03 lancer oz rally worked good for like 6 months then broke. sent it in worked for almost a year then broke. then tried to contact them on it and guy avoided my phone calls and emails. i don't know but that was the end of it for me with them never would do business with them again after that. horrible customer service and they take forever to fix alt when it was sent in.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

Archived