Second Skin Audio

Subs voice coil became unstuck?

shanesauce

So my brother in law came over the other day and dropped off some audio stuff he said that I might have a use for.

He dropped off a empty bandpass box for 2 12's, a Dual SD12 in a sealed truck box with scraping voice coil and some 6x9 and 5.25 inch speakers that were trashed.

Well I left all of the stuff outside under the porch for a few days where he dropped it off and I just brought all of it in and noticed the dual sub wasn't scraping anymore, I hooked it up to my home receiver and it was playing bass notes just fine...

What happened? The other day the voice coil was scraping so bad I could barely push the cone down without a nasty noise.

- 2012 Mustang 3.7 Manual

- Audio under construction

I can tell you, if certain metal is put in the freezer, it shrinks. I've put quite a few things in my freezer to remove bearings, rifle barrels, RC engine parts etc. lol. Maybe the freezing made the thing unstuck? Play it till it gets warm and see if it sticks again.

Oh my god you found the secret that no sub maker wants you know about. If you put a blown sub in the cold it repairs it's self within 24 hours. Man I hope none of the company's see this thread or they will have us all assasinated.

On a lighter note there is a chance that when you were pushing down on the cone that you were pushing it at an angle which could cause the coil to rub. So it could have been nothing was really wrong with it in the first place.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived