Second Skin Audio

How much of a difference does price make?

Hello there!

First I'd like to start by introducing myself. My name is Silas Williams and I am new to this forum. I got my first car a year ago and I've been filling it with all sorts of noisy things for about 8 months now. I've scavenged all over the internet trying to learn as much as possible and I think I have a pretty good understanding of most things now. Beyond fiddling with my crappy car, I produce music, occasionally make some digital art, and rarely do some game programming.

Now, my question:

My friend will be getting his car in a few months. Seeing as I'm the one who sits around studying this stuff, I'm gonna be finding equipment and installing it. We are both poor teens so I've got to do this on as low of a budget as possible. (Without buying crap equipment) My question is, how much of a difference does price make?

Specifically I'm interested in subs. I don't care about individual makes of subs. I'm more interested in brands. I want to know if a 40 dollar off-brand (pyle, boss, pyramid, power acoustik, sony?) sub will perform worse than a 120 dollar on-brand (sony?, kicker, RE, hifonics?), and how much more a great brand (sundown, DC, DD) will perform better than an on-brand. Once again, I'm specifically talking about subs, but if you have any thoughts on amps, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for actual educated answers, not these silly kicker vs. rockford arguments. I understand that the off-brands lie about power handling, but if you accept the lies as given and compensate for such lies, how big of a difference is there?

Thanks alot!

Subs = 2x Rockford Fosgate p110's in custom ported box

Amp = Rockford Fosgate 451s (115 watts rms x 2 into 4 ohms)

Rear = Sony xplod 6.5 coaxials (they were on clearance at target :D )

Front = Soundstorm 6.5's

Wire = some 8 gauge crap my friend gave me

head unit = an older alpine

I'M POOR OK :(

Typically, you get what you paid for. The cheaper stuff will usually be made in china and be of low quality. The more expensive you go, they'll start to use more quality components/material that will handle/make more power. Also the difference is very noticeable in terms of performance from low end to high end subs, whether it be more power handling to better sounding bass.

Ok, that makes sense. But what about if you compensate like I was saying? For instance, if Pyle makes a 50 dollar sub that supposedly does 800rms (a huge lie) and instead actually does 250rms, how will it compare to a kicker sub that does 250rms but costs 120 bucks?

Front = Soundstorm 6.5's

For audio equipement, I wouldn't look anywhere else other than

Soundqubed

Sundown Audio

Fi Audio

Ascendant Audio

DC Audio

CT sounds

Obsidian Audio

Sky high car audio

they are all proven brands and great quality.

edit: some of the best priced equipment is soundqubed and CT sounds

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

The pyle may be able to take 250w but it won't sound as good as the kicker doing 250w. Other factors come into play such as, how strong the magnet is (motor force), what material the cone is made of, how large the voice coil is, xmas, etc.

In my opinion "cost" associates with build quality and and performance. A $40 sub might be able to take 100 watts RMS or claim to take that but would be made of the cheapest elements available to be able to produce a $40 sub. And with something that you're paying $200+ will be due to better quality. plastic vs carbon fiber for example. 100 rms vs 1500 rms. Would i go and say a $40 sub is complete crap, no! I had (many moons ago) two Pioneer IMPP 10" that sounded great in the enclosure I designed. Did I break any records with it, no but I didnt compete either. LOL anywho I had a lot of people give me prop's on the sound and again they were wal-mart bought pioneers I think i paid like $50-$60 each. Again this was 15+ years ago but still. I think with the right mind processes you could potentially buy a $40 sub and make it sound as if it were a $100 sub/s.

As for brands you would be surprised with some of these off brands. Think of it this way. Sundown, DC audio, DD all them guys were off brands at one point.

To be honest price makes a world of difference, but being that your just starting out anyth you do buy you should be proud of, hell not all of us started out with Dc, Dd, American bass, ct, sq, rf etc . My first system was kicker and it was prett good for what it was... and not to mention I found my first system on Craigslist you find some good on some used shit sometimes just get your feet wet and work your way up later no need to rush, and welcome to the forum

2003 silverado TEAM DC

Pioneer Avh 5500

4 DC lvl 5 18s

12 crescendo pwx 6.5s

4 crescendo ft1 tweets

6xs d3400s

Singer 400 alt

Skyhigh ofc wires

Skyhigh speaker wires

Smd vm1

2 DC 175.4

DC 10k

bottom-1_zps841868a8.gif

biggains_smd05_01_zpsmzshwldk.jpg

biggains_smd05_02_zpskjra9f1e.jpg

biggains_smd05_03_zpsncvjgng9.jpg

biggains_smd05_04_zpsr7ddubta.jpg

Alright thanks for the answers guys!

As a potential argument starter, what do you think of the higher end nvx stuff (vcw, 200 dollars) and re stuff (sex, 160 dollars). Are both good options for poor teenagers?

Front = Soundstorm 6.5's

Archived