Need review on plans for DD sub in home audio setup

Recently I have been investing in home audio, and I have most components accounted for except the sub stage.

My choice of sub was a spare DD 515 initially intended to be used in my daily vehicle. It may not be ideal for use in home audio, however it didn't cost me anything out of pocket.

The enclosure dimensions are 20"L, 20"W, 30"H. The internal volume of which is 5.64ft^3 before displacement (I realize this is a lot of space but I will try to kill a lot of it with bracing). I will be using 3/4" red oak hardwood. I also plan to use two sections of 4" PVC approximately 10.25" in length a piece. Below are my calculations through Torres.

HomeAudioSubBox_zps5c0aebe7.png

If you see anything wrong or if I have left out any vital information please let me know. Also, is the tuning frequency right? I always hear to tune home boxes low and I figure that after displacement that the number should increase but idk.

I forgot to mention that I will be using a Dayton Audio spa250 amplifier to push the sub. I will have pictures as soon as it arrives.

Thank you for reviewing my plans. Any and all comments are appreciated.

The port -

IMG_00000044_zps78f22e99.jpg

This is a mock of sorts. The enclosure will be 4+" taller and a few inches deeper, but you can visualize the size of what I am working with

IMG_00000045_zps22445ad5.jpg

Also, The wood

IMG_00000040_zps579a2491.jpg

and what I intend to stain it

IMG_00000033_zps41d3744f.jpg

I could be wrong but wouldnt both ports need to be the full 20.5"? Also you may want to try playing with winisd since its for home audio application. As far as low tuning on home audio subs i believe is more home theater oriented then stereo listening. Hopefully someone else can help more.

Hey thanks for the input man. Does anyone know if the port length of 20.5" is included for both ports or 20.5" per port? I was confused on this. Also I have started using Winisd but some of the concepts are beyond my level of knowledge currently, although I am learning concepts through different forum groups.

Does anyone else have any advise on the enclosure? I went ahead and made my cuts on the wood so I am stuck with the outside dimensions however I can take up internal volume with more bracing if necessary .

Thanks for your responses :nuts:

I did a bit of refiguring. I think If with substantial bracing along with woofer displacement (does aero port displacement count for anything?) Ideally I can reach about 4.5ft^3 internally. I will shorten the straight port length to 21" net to come to a tuning frequency of about 25 hz.

I also guess as questioned earlier and confirmed though a few different calculators that total port length between the two should be 21"

looks great! and i have the same onkyo reciever! dont hesitate to run 2-4ohm speakers on it. i have 2 ohm speakers on mine and it very rarely goes into protect.

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

subs: 2 soundqubed hds300 12s 4'1" towers tuned to 29hz sub: AQ hdc3 12

Amp: pioneer gm9061 amp: poineer gm9601

headunit: kenwood kdc 255u mids: SQ pro mids

midbass: polk db 8s highs: stock

mids/highs: shitty off brand

looks great! and i have the same onkyo reciever! dont hesitate to run 2-4ohm speakers on it. i have 2 ohm speakers on mine and it very rarely goes into protect.

Nice man I like mine too! lots of power and little distortion. The thing must weigh a good 40lbs at least

I love mine hell right now since my car is broken I'm running my subs off of it wired to 2 ohms each chanel and it doesn't shut off

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

subs: 2 soundqubed hds300 12s 4'1" towers tuned to 29hz sub: AQ hdc3 12

Amp: pioneer gm9061 amp: poineer gm9601

headunit: kenwood kdc 255u mids: SQ pro mids

midbass: polk db 8s highs: stock

mids/highs: shitty off brand

Archived