The Overwhelming Influx of Superfluous Information

in my philosophy class were given assignments and there was almost no guide lines, and as the class did these and with the teacher we learned a lot. All through elementary to most college classes we are given these rules and guidelines for papers, assignments, projects etc... most classes you are not given the opportunity to think out side the box, you are not allowed to try different things and experiment. With each person they can bring a new way of looking into a subject or a theory but if we just restrict the minds of our kids they will grow never really having that chance to think out side the box. ( or least they will be afraid to express their ideas because of fear people will talk down to them). In order for society to grow and change we need people to think different and have more freedom to bring a new mind set to a certain theory or problem.

Perhaps a tool, that could help "teach" the brain an accelerated form of the "basics".

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

The education system has been and probably always will be subject of many debates. The whole theory of no child left behind varies from state to state, and from school to school. Some students work their butts off to get a good education while others just get pushed threw the system with the same degree as those who are obviously more educated. Some of you may remember the 60 min special, last year or the year before. When the said a four yr college grad had the same academic achievement level as a high school sophomore from 1990. (crazy shit) They then gave numerous college seniors a GED test and 80 some odd percent failed. (even more crazy huh) So i guess it boils down to does anyone really have the right answer. Should we all be taught on the same level or and individual level? All i can say is when we are young we all want to get out of school as soon as possible and hopefully do the best we can. It's not till we are little older and realize we never stop learning and actually enjoy learning.

truthsayer

And no Snow, I just think a lot

Man after my own heart :)

This thread seems like it relies on the assumption that one person needs to know X amount of knowledge. And also ignores advancements in technology.

Let me propose a counter question: What if, as the amount of "knowledge" available increases, so does our reliance on technology, and the amount of material we need to cover decreases. To the point where you no longer really need to know anything, you can dictate an idea to a computer so that it will then interpret and fetch you all the pertinent information you need. Technology has become advanced to a point where we really don't need to "know" anything, since the information can be brought to us. Think something along the lines of artificial intelligence.

Suppose we develop brain-machine interfaces such that information can be downloaded to our memories without needing to actually attend schooling?

Suppose we develop brain-machine interfaces such that information can be downloaded to our memories without needing to actually attend schooling?

http://www.ted.com/talks/tan_le_a_headset_that_reads_your_brainwaves.html

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

Yeah I saw that a while ago. Neat stuff for sure. I'm waiting for the day when a war veteran who got his legs blown off can go back to a normal functioning life. Think of all the applications

Brain interface, motorized prosthetic legs. We already have the technology to allow you to "feel" what the prosthetic feels. Couple that with an inductive charger in your bed or something so they recharge while you sleep.

Man after my own heart :)

This thread seems like it relies on the assumption that one person needs to know X amount of knowledge. And also ignores advancements in technology.

Let me propose a counter question: What if, as the amount of "knowledge" available increases, so does our reliance on technology, and the amount of material we need to cover decreases. To the point where you no longer really need to know anything, you can dictate an idea to a computer so that it will then interpret and fetch you all the pertinent information you need. Technology has become advanced to a point where we really don't need to "know" anything, since the information can be brought to us. Think something along the lines of artificial intelligence.

exactly my thoughts

But this raises an ethical question. When do we cease using our own minds and just listen to what the machine tells us?

I'll leave this here for tonight. I have class in the morning.

Please continue discussing :)

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Now I'm in the "mood" too lol

Ethics and standards can change over time too. Think about it. We've legalized abortion, hitchhiking is now frowned upon, we've developed laws regarding wage and working hours, human rights. The list goes on.

Even using technology. If you pull out your cell phone at the dinner table now, it's considered the "norm." A few years ago, it would have been considered rude and inconsiderate.

again, 1984

1984 was a very profound book

Today though, I was thinking about the repercussions of utilizing such a device. Humanity. The things that make us humans, feelings, relationships, love, the senses. There is something tragic about losing those things and presumably we would.

Imagine laying on your death bed, your body is finished and you are faced with the choice to continue your consciousness virtually or die altogether. If you choose the virtual you can still think and communicate but you will never be able to feel things. You won't taste your birthday cake, you wont hear a beautiful symphony, paintings will be rendered into their digital form, you can never smell a flower, you can never pet a cat or dog again.

I feel like this would be a version of hell. Sure you will be able to learn and know everything but you will never feel happy about your accomplishments.

So naturally people would develop a way to inject their consciousness into a new fabricated living being (clone) so that they can continue to be human. If you are to purchase a new body though wouldn't you be compelled to buy one that is better than the last one? Prettier, stronger, taller, etc. Young again.

It makes me wonder what would happen to marriages that have lasted 50-60 years. Being young again means you are fresh to date and have fun again. Would people still choose to stay with the person they have been with for so long?

And then even further how would this affect crime? Murder for example. If the minds of people are backed up on a hard drive then would killing a body become destruction of property? Prostitution, drugs, cannibalism, every major crime would all be reduced down to destroying a piece of property. Life insurance would work more like car insurance, replace your old one with a brand new model.

Nothing would be sacred anymore except the little drive that houses your personality and knowledge.

Would it really be so different?

Look at video games. CoD, GTA, any game where you take on a persona and do things. This is what life would be like. Consistent reckless endangerment with no consequences other than money to get that 1UP

But then think of the amount of knowledge we could attain. Traveling to other worlds would be so simple. Learning would be universal. Our knowledge would be outstanding but our humanity would be desolate

So which is worth more, your feels or your knowledge?

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build